"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 12-23-2007, 06:17 AM   #31
Senior Cook

Home Goods is a great place for gadgetry in my experience. My favorite find there has been an eight inch stainless steel mixing bowl that has to have a two liter capacity for four dollars. It's not one of those chintzy, little, "bendable under finger pressure" bowls like I've seen at Meijers and Big Lots. They've a good selection of cooking tools too. I picked up a couple silicone scoopulas and stainless whisks for under five dollars a piece. They're prices on All-Clad pans is nothing to sneeze at either. My favorite saucepan (I believe they call it a "butter warmer"), was only $20. A 12x18 inch bamboo cutting board was $5 or so. Similar prices and items can be found at Marshalls and TJ Maxx, since all three are owned by the same company.

Dollar Tree stores around here are also good for the little prep bowls though I'm having trouble finding the four-pack of three inch bowls as of late. One of the nearby stores also sells green half pint, wire bail mason jars, which, while not indicated for home canning, might make great gift containers. I've made a project out of the little 6x8 inch bamboo cutting boards by trimming off the edges and gluing four of them together!

I was surprised by my local World Market's cooking gear. I had been looking for a reasonably priced, 1-1.5 quart souffle vessel for several days when I stopped in on a whim. Five dollars cheaper than an almost identical product at Macy's, which, in all fairness, was only ten dollars. I also picked up a Joyce Chen Chinese chef's knife with one of their email club (seems to be spam-free so far!) coupons for 20% off.

And in deference to the bigger stores, I did find some open stock of some hard to find cookware at Linens n Things at a lower price than I'd seen online. Add the 20% coupon from the Sunday paper, and I was a happy camper.

Old 12-25-2007, 04:59 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Walmart is also good for better prices on brand names.
This is incredibly dangerous advice, Andy. The stuff you can buy at Wal-Mart is often inferior in quality than if you were to buy it elsewhere.

Let's take KitchenAid stand mixers, for example. Let's say you buy one at Macy's and one at Wal-Mart, and then take them both apart.

You'll find the one from Macy's will have metal fittings and screws and a nice quality metal on the innards.

You'll subsequently find that the one from Wal-Mart will use plastic fittings, screws and gears, and will use pot metal brackets and the like.

It's like this with a lot of things you get from Wal-Mart. Because they dictate what they'll pay to manufacturer's (which often cripples said manufacturer) the manufacturer has to come up with ways to cut costs on the items they sell to Wal-Mart, and 99 out of 100 times that results in using lower quality components.

Old 12-26-2007, 04:56 PM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinfresh View Post
This is incredibly dangerous advice, Andy. The stuff you can buy at Wal-Mart is often inferior in quality than if you were to buy it elsewhere.

Let's take KitchenAid stand mixers, for example. Let's say you buy one at Macy's and one at Wal-Mart, and then take them both apart.

You'll find the one from Macy's will have metal fittings and screws and a nice quality metal on the innards.

You'll subsequently find that the one from Wal-Mart will use plastic fittings, screws and gears, and will use pot metal brackets and the like.

It's like this with a lot of things you get from Wal-Mart. Because they dictate what they'll pay to manufacturer's (which often cripples said manufacturer) the manufacturer has to come up with ways to cut costs on the items they sell to Wal-Mart, and 99 out of 100 times that results in using lower quality components.

Man that's quite a leap you made. I post talking about glass mise en place bowls and a cast iron skillet and you take that to Kitchen Aid mixers.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:26 PM   #34
Senior Cook

You made a generalized "name brand" comment regarding kitchen products at Wal-Mart (I think, I was kinda woozy when I jumped into this thread yesterday. I only use the KitchenAid analogy because I once did just that for a web site I used to have.

Whether that translates to bowls, I doubt, but a lot of things you find in the kitchen area of Wal-Mart are cheaper for a reason--they're cheaper quality.