"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 11-03-2006, 04:45 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

I can see how an electric skillet would make this easier to make.

I have never seen a recipe before that called for putting food to be fried into cold oil. I would have expected it to be greasy. Other than that, it's fried chicken.

Old 11-03-2006, 05:00 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Sorry, I won't be trying that. My recipe is the same for the frying part EXCEPT you put it in hot oil and turn after 15 minutes. I'm glad it is good for your family though.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:43 AM   #13
Sous Chef

It's not the least bit greasy!! Some folks are adventurous in their cooking and some aren't... ;)
Old 11-04-2006, 01:01 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I own a Rival 13-inch electric skillet and I haven't noticed this problem with it. I've had it for over 11 years.

But I very seldom use it, hence the still new-looking surface.
Old 11-11-2006, 04:09 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
If I were you, I would contact the manufacturer. Presto is a reputable company, and they may replace your skillet.
Constance, thank you for the reply. I wrote the Presto company and explained about my skillet. We'll see what happens.

Thanks to the rest of you for your replies. As for chicken I've discovered a new way to do mine (I use my toaster oven). I roll boneless/skinless chicken breasts in some olive oil/pesto/garlic mixture and then in some Italian bread crumbs and bake for half an hour (or until done). Turn the chicken halfway through bake time.

Tasty. :)
Old 11-11-2006, 07:44 PM   #16
Master Chef

You're welcome, Dcloud.
By the way, I just checked, and my skillet is a Hamilton Beach that my husband picked up at Walmart about 15 years ago. We're not using it so much now, but before the boy left, we had it going about full time. It has fried more chickens, pork chops and hamburgers, and made more pancakes and French Toast than you can imagine.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:10 PM   #17
Sous Chef

My late, ex mother in law had a wonderful Farberware electric skillet - it was huge, round, and stainless steel with a high domed lid. She used that thing for everything and nothing ever stuck or burned (as if it would dare!!)

I had two other electric frying pans that were gifts. Both were rectangular and coated with "non-stick". Yeah! Right! At a yard sale I found one like my ex mother in law had and bought it. I seldom had a problem with anything sticking in it and I sure wish it would fit on the boat. It's in storage. I think Macy's still sells them. They are fantastic!