"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 11-02-2006, 07:39 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Best electric skillet?

I've always been on the lookout for a good electric skillet because they come in handy for cooking just about anything. Last year my folks bought me a Presto 06841 Professional Skillet and I have used it a lot, but it has the same problem that seem to plague most electric skillets - things begin to stick to the bottom and cooking becomes uneven.

Searching the web I've discovered that the Cuisinart CSK-150 skillet seems to be the best. It consistently recieves five star reviews and ratings. However I'm a little hesitant to spend $100 on just an electric skillet. I'm wondering if anyone here has this skillet or would have some recommendations on what to buy?

I suppose spending that amount for a skillet would be justified when you consider the Presto costs $50 and the price of another skillet would be about the same (for the average brands anyway).

Old 11-02-2006, 08:36 PM   #2
Head Chef

Wish I could be more help but my only electric skillet is circa 1960's and hasn't been used since the 70's.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:03 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

I'd go to Target and get one for $20. I wouldn't think things would stick if you use the right utensils and don't scratch it.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:38 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Food cooked in the Presto has begun to stick on the bottom around the oval heat ring. It has gotten worse over the last few weeks. My folks have the same skillet and theirs isn't as bad, but food still sticks and needs to be scraped off. We don't use any metal in the pans.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:31 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
I get the WestBend (silverstone) one for approximately $20. Yes, all of them get the oval burn. I just consider it disposable and go out and buy another one. They are cheap. And the one that burns, I use that one for fried potatoes. :-)
Old 11-03-2006, 08:46 AM   #6
Senior Cook

We have a Presto that was a wedding present (in 1964!). It was non-stick.
We use it for pancakes and fried chicken, and such, to take advantage of the thermostat for temp. control.

We have no particular trouble with sticking, I think because we usually just rinse and wipe it out after use, and it's developed a cure, much like seasoning cast iron.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:11 AM   #7
Sous Chef

I haven't had an electric skillet for years and I have one chicken recipe that really needs that skillet - so, haven't made it for years either. 'Bout time I start looking for one, I miss that dish. :)
Old 11-03-2006, 10:19 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjs
... I have one chicken recipe that really needs that skillet - so, haven't made it for years either. 'Bout time I start looking for one, I miss that dish. :)

I can't imagine a recipe that MUST be cooked in an electric skillet. What is this chicken recipe like?
Old 11-03-2006, 10:54 AM   #9
Master Chef

I consider an electric skillet a necessity. I like it for frying chicken or other meats because of the thermostat. Mine is large enough to hold a whole cut-up chicken, which is another plus. It's great for pancakes, French toast and grilled sandwiches...I've made casserole dishes in it too, when I was short on space in the oven.
I've been through 4-5 electric skillets in my years cooking, and it seems like a couple of the older ones did lose theire non-stick surface, but I've never had a problem with this one, and I've had it at least 15 years. It's a West Bend, I think.
If I were you, I would contact the manufacturer. Presto is a reputable company, and they may replace your skillet.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:40 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Andy, honest-to-God, this works!! It's a wonderful chicken hot or cold. My mother and I made this for years. I dare you.

COLD OIL CHICKEN
You don't really need an electric skillet, it just makes it so much easier

2/3 c flour
1 tsp each: garlic salt & seasoned salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp each: pepper, rubbed sage, thyme leaves, &
dried basil
3 c oil (approx.)
Chicken pieces

In a bag, combine all the seasonings.

In a deep electric frying pan, pour in 1/2" of oil. Shake each piece of Chicken in flour mixture & place skin side down in the cold oil.

Cover the pan & turn to 350. When you hear the chicken frying & sizzling loudly, set a timer & cook for 15 min.

Remove cover & turn pieces over.

Cook, uncovered for 10 min. longer or till meat next to bone is done.