"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 10-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #21
Master Chef

Unless your cast iron is long and impeccably seasoned it will NOT perform like nonstick.

It takes quite awhile to get to that point.

Personally I have little use for nonstick but if you go the CI route you will need to buy a cheap nonstick skillet to use until your CI is well seasoned

Old 10-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #22
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Can you cook eggs in a cast iron skillet?

Here is the aftermath of cooking scrambled eggs in a thrift store Griswold CI skillet. The eggs came out very easily.

If you want CI, good places to look are thrift stores (I got this 60 year old Griswold for less than $10), and stores like Marshalls. I am always seeing Lodge skillets there.

Marshalls and Home Goods and stores like that also have good deals on nonstick pans. I agree with the suggestion to get cheap nonstick and replace.

Chad

Old 10-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #23
Master Chef

That is a pretty well seasoned skillet.

Until a CI skillet is well seasoned it will NOT perform like nonstick.

Let's not lead new cooks here
Old 10-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #24
Cook

It had already been said that cast iron needed to be properly seasoned. I didn't feel the need to repeat that. Sorry if I mislead.

Chad
Old 10-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogiwan
While I do not disagree with the cast iron suggestion, not everyone does well with it. It takes awhile to get it fully conditioned, it can be a bit heavy.
One the other hand I would not recommend nonstick coatings that were in use prior to around 2008/09 when Teflon was reformulated with the chemicals that have gotten the negative reviews.
My personal recommendation is the diamond coated nonstick from Woll. No chemicals and the diamond surface conducts heat terrifically. Metal utensils can be used (but not suggested). This is really good versatile nonstick cookware.

[Disclaimer: I both use and sell Woll]
The Woll cookware looks great. Which fry pan would you recommend starting out with? Would you post the link?
Old 10-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #26
Sous Chef

I usually like the ones I buy at a restaurant supply store best.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:47 PM   #27
Master Chef

It doesn't take more than a few hours to properly season a new Cast Iron pan. And if Cast iron is too heavy, but you want to stay away from non-stick pans, there are great, lighter alternatives, such as stainless steel, mineral pans, restaurant grade aluminum pans, and carbon steel. All of these, except for the stainless steel, can be seasoned and relatively non-stick. You wouldn't believe how easy it is to clean my aluminum pressure cooker since I seasoned it.

I know, very few people have even heard of seasoning an aluminum pan. I first tried it out of desperation while camping, about 25 years back. I had a set of aluminum camp pot and pans, you know, the ones with the removable handles that fit in little slots on the side of the pots and pans. I used them on a two burner Coleman white gas stove. Things stuck like crazy to them. It had been that way when I was in Boy Scouts, with my parents while I was growing up, and with everyone who used such pans while camping, that I had ever met. I got tired of it on that summer day, and as I knew how to season cast iron, I decided to try it on those cheap camping pans. It worked. The fried eggs and bacon, the pancakes, and everything else I cooked in them came out of the pans so easily. I was amazed. I never looked back. I season aluminum pots and pans.

It makes clean up so easy, and makes it so that I can cook acidic foots in the aluminum without worrying about leaching the aluminum into the food, or corroding the pans.

I still love and use my cast iron every day. I have two of my children who want my CI pans. They have good taste in pans, or maybe, they just have seen how well they work, all of their lives.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North
It doesn't take more than a few hours to properly season a new Cast Iron pan. And if Cast iron is too heavy, but you want to stay away from non-stick pans, there are great, lighter alternatives, such as stainless steel, mineral pans, restaurant grade aluminum pans, and carbon steel. All of these, except for the stainless steel, can be seasoned and relatively non-stick. You wouldn't believe how easy it is to clean my aluminum pressure cooker since I seasoned it.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
What is a mineral pan?
Old 10-05-2012, 12:19 AM   #29
Assistant Cook

I learned a few years ago, that you should NEVER use non stick spray, such as PAM in a non stick skillet. My Walmart non stick is holding up nicely.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:20 AM   #30
Master Chef

I know I've seen them in the past, and that they are a form of steel. But I can't seem to find any reference for them right now. I'll look more tomorrow.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote