"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 03-26-2016, 11:33 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I've tried freezer bags and plastic freezer containers but now we do the same as S&P....freeze about 1/2" deep in tupperware freezer containers then pop them out and seal in food saver. Just found some from 2013 in the back of the freezer and used it tonight in risotto and it was great.

Old 03-27-2016, 04:38 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Thanks for your suggestions everyone! How long does pesto keep in the fridge?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Old 03-27-2016, 06:53 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Food will remain safe to eat indefinitely in the freezer. The texture of some foods will suffer; for example, meats can get freezer-burned (dried on the surface) and pasta, some whole vegetables, etc., get mushy after a couple months. Since pesto is puréed, it will be fine for years.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:02 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Food will remain safe to eat indefinitely in the freezer. The texture of some foods will suffer; for example, meats can get freezer-burned (dried on the surface) and pasta, some whole vegetables, etc., get mushy after a couple months. Since pesto is puréed, it will be fine for years.

I was asking about the fridge!

Old 03-27-2016, 07:10 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
I was asking about the fridge!
Oh, sorry. Two days or so. It will turn brown with exposure to air, but it will be safe to eat. Just not as appetizing as fresh. I usually either eat it or freeze it the same day I make it.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:34 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Oh, sorry. Two days or so. It will turn brown with exposure to air, but it will be safe to eat. Just not as appetizing as fresh. I usually either eat it or freeze it the same day I make it.

I wish I had frozen it right away. I made it last Tuesday and it's still in the fridge. Maybe I should throw it out at this point?

Old 03-27-2016, 09:32 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

You can taste it if you want, to see what you think, but it really doesn't last very long.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:03 PM   #18
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
If you have a Food Saver? This works for sauces and liquids too....I put the contents in a plastic container and freeze, next I take the frozen food out of the container and seal in in food saver bags. Lasts a long time.
If you don't have a food saver, put it in a container with the least amount of air and add a coat of olive oil over the surface and freeze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Do you just let the pesto thaw at room temperature? Guessing that microwaving it would cook it?

I would also do this. Vacuum sealing is a really awesome way of preserving things without canning ;)

To reheat it you can leave it out room temp, but if you are out of time then just put it in a warm or hot water bath.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:01 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

I put the pesto in the old fashioned metal ice cube trays with the handle, freeze solid, take them out in put in small zip locks in freezer, I use my food saver to seal & freeze. (This trick works great for your stocks, freeze as cubes toss as needed for soups or while cooking rice etc.)

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 10-16-2016, 08:51 AM   #20
Head Chef

I've had basil pesto in my refrigerator for 2-3 weeks at a time. Always in a plastic container. I've never had it turn brown and it tastes great. when I use it.

Tags
freezer