Best way to store pesto in the freezer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I made some cilantro pesto and may want to keep some in the freezer. Should I store it in a plastic container or freezer bags?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

If you have a Food Saver? This works for sauces and liquids too....I put the contents in a plastic container and freeze, next I take the frozen food out of the container and seal in in food saver bags. Lasts a long time.
If you don't have a food saver, put it in a container with the least amount of air and add a coat of olive oil over the surface and freeze.

If you have a Food Saver? This works for sauces and liquids too....I put the contents in a plastic container and freeze, next I take the frozen food out of the container and seal in in food saver bags. Lasts a long time.
If you don't have a food saver, put it in a container with the least amount of air and add a coat of olive oil over the surface and freeze.

+1. I don't have a Food Saver anymore, so I do the second one :) It works just fine.

I freeze basil/oil and garlic minced/oil and pesto all the same way. Spoon it into a sandwich size zip lock bag, squeeze out all the air, flatten the bag evenly, freeze. Then you can stack the bags and when you want some, you break it up easily, take out what you need and refreeze, squeezing the air out again before sealing it. Label the bags. I also keep cilantro (no oil) and chopped chives (no oil) similarly. I keep them all on the door of the freezer, all the herbs and flavorings.

I don't have a food saver but it sounds like a freezer bag will work.

I use the freezer bag storage system.

If you find there is discoloration when frozen, such as yellow, the olive oil will return to its normal color when thawed. It may look too army green as well, we only make basil pesto, so I don't know the properties of freezing cilantro. If we want a more green color, eg company's coming, we add a little more pulsed basil or parsley and that will green it up again. I think this last part defeats the purpose of making pesto in batches, so you don't have to get out the heavy hardware extra.

I use the freezer bag storage system.

If you find there is discoloration when frozen, such as yellow, the olive oil will return to its normal color when thawed. It may look too army green as well, we only make basil pesto, so I don't know the properties of freezing cilantro. If we want a more green color, eg company's coming, we add a little more pulsed basil or parsley and that will green it up again. I think this last part defeats the purpose of making pesto in batches, so you don't have to get out the heavy hardware extra.

My purpose for making pesto in batches is to preserve my harvest ;)

I freeze basil/oil and garlic minced/oil and pesto all the same way. Spoon it into a sandwich size zip lock bag, squeeze out all the air, flatten the bag evenly, freeze. Then you can stack the bags and when you want some, you break it up easily, take out what you need and refreeze, squeezing the air out again before sealing it. Label the bags. I also keep cilantro (no oil) and chopped chives (no oil) similarly. I keep them all on the door of the freezer, all the herbs and flavorings.

Do you just let the pesto thaw at room temperature? Guessing that microwaving it would cook it?

Do you just let the pesto thaw at room temperature? Guessing that microwaving it would cook it?

Since they are frozen flat and not more than 1/2 inch thick, I break off pieces while they are frozen and then put them in room temperature or hot food. So for cilantro and garlic used in guacamole, I just put chunks of it in there and within a few minutes it breaks up and thaws. If I needed a bowl of pesto, I'd break it up into a bowl and microwave it until it was thawed. If I was putting pesto on hot pasta, the chunks would thaw out on the hot food.

I've tried freezer bags and plastic freezer containers but now we do the same as S&P....freeze about 1/2" deep in tupperware freezer containers then pop them out and seal in food saver. Just found some from 2013 in the back of the freezer and used it tonight in risotto and it was great.

Thanks for your suggestions everyone! How long does pesto keep in the fridge?

Food will remain safe to eat indefinitely in the freezer. The texture of some foods will suffer; for example, meats can get freezer-burned (dried on the surface) and pasta, some whole vegetables, etc., get mushy after a couple months. Since pesto is puréed, it will be fine for years.

Food will remain safe to eat indefinitely in the freezer. The texture of some foods will suffer; for example, meats can get freezer-burned (dried on the surface) and pasta, some whole vegetables, etc., get mushy after a couple months. Since pesto is puréed, it will be fine for years.

I was asking about the fridge!

Oh, sorry. Two days or so. It will turn brown with exposure to air, but it will be safe to eat. Just not as appetizing as fresh. I usually either eat it or freeze it the same day I make it.

I wish I had frozen it right away. I made it last Tuesday and it's still in the fridge. Maybe I should throw it out at this point?

I would also do this. Vacuum sealing is a really awesome way of preserving things without canning ;)

To reheat it you can leave it out room temp, but if you are out of time then just put it in a warm or hot water bath.

I put the pesto in the old fashioned metal ice cube trays with the handle, freeze solid, take them out in put in small zip locks in freezer, I use my food saver to seal & freeze. (This trick works great for your stocks, freeze as cubes toss as needed for soups or while cooking rice etc.)

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

I've had basil pesto in my refrigerator for 2-3 weeks at a time. Always in a plastic container. I've never had it turn brown and it tastes great. when I use it.

Back
Top Bottom