Butter Bell Crock - Comments/feedback?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never had any difficulty filling mine or keeping the butter from dropping out of the bell into the water.

Over the years, I've learned to take a stick of butter out of the fridge/freezer when it looks like the bell will need to be "loaded." I just let the butter sit out, in its wrapper, on the kitchen counter.

By the time the bell is empty, the butter is soft enough to put in. But...and maybe this is what keeps mine IN the bell, I peel the wrapper off the butter, place the butter into the bell so the butter is standing on end, then I place the wrapper over the other end and shove the butter with the palm of my hand on the outside of the wrapper into the bell. This way I don't get any butter on my hands/fingers and the butter is really pushed into the bell. Did this make sense? I can see it in my mind and I hope I conveyed it with some semblance of reason.

I take mine out and let it soften on the counter as well. I use a spoon to put the butter in the bell and mash it down.

I use a regular butter dish with a cover. Butter doesn't stay around long enough to go bad, and while it's in stick form when I'm cooking, let's say a recipe calls for two Tbls. of butter, I can judge the amount I need right then and cut it off the end without having to dirty a measuring spoon to use with the crock, or get an additional stick from the fridge.

Yes I agree, one of the best inventions. No more nuking your butter to get it spreadable.

It's great if you don't use much butter, but I found that sometimes I had to refill it with butter every day or two. First you have to soften the butter it get it in there. Then you have to load the butter into the bell. Then you scoop it out to use it. Then you refill it again! By the time I was done fussing with it, i couldn't figure out what it was doing to actually help me.

So I sold it in a garage sale for 50 cents.

Thanks for the feedback. I think we probably use too much butter for it to be useful for us too. We don't have a problem leaving it out, except in summer when it sometimes gets too soft.

I've never heard of one of these--I'm going to look for one when I'm in MN (and Chicago). A friend of mine from Poland is mortified that North Americans keep butter out--it's a dairy product.

I brought home a pound of butter the other day--left it on the counter to soften a bit. When I went back to quarter it--it was gone...I've been watching Clifford--the 18 mo. old Saint--for evidence that he countersurfed it.

I've never heard of one of these--I'm going to look for one when I'm in MN (and Chicago). A friend of mine from Poland is mortified that North Americans keep butter out--it's a dairy product.

I brought home a pound of butter the other day--left it on the counter to soften a bit. When I went back to quarter it--it was gone...I've been watching Clifford--the 18 mo. old Saint--for evidence that he countersurfed it.

ROFL!!! I just have to worry about cats in the butter!:ROFLMAO:

went on line to esty yesterday and ordered one. not a butterbell. they are way to expensive. just want it for table services for guests. mine does fine in a small white bowl on the counter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom