"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 02-09-2007, 07:32 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

I have a butter bell, been using it for years. It really does work to keep the butter pliable and fresh for much longer than just keeping it out on the counter.

As for TJ Maxx, that place is dangerous, as far as I am concerned. Has anyone ever tried HOME GOOD?!?!?! They are the same company as TJ Maxx but their kitchen section is 4x as large, 100x better stocked, and CHEAP!!!

Old 02-10-2007, 01:47 AM   #12
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Dove
Has anyone used a butter crock? I recently switched to using butter because its more natural and I'm curious about these things.

ButterBell.com - Butter BellŪ Crock
I love my butter bells - I have two of them. I turn most of my butter into ghee, and butter bells are absolutely perfect for ghee storage. I make ghee up two sticks of butter at a time and pour into the butter bells while still liquid. I put them in the fridge just till they're solid enough to turn over (an hour or so). The ghee stays fresh in the butter bell for a long time. (I change the water every time I use some ghee, and every few days for the backup butter bell till I get to it.)

Old 02-10-2007, 10:58 AM   #13
Sous Chef

Oh, good idea about the ghee! Next time a see a butterbell on the cheap I'm going to go for me second one!
Love, love, love Homegoods BTW. Very dangerous for me. I could go broke there so I only step in a 2 or 3 times a year.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:37 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

I make ghee from two sticks of butter too. I store it in s small foodsaver container which vacuums all the air out so it is sort of like using a butter bell. I guess I could do the same thing with butter. I had never thought of that. Now I don't have to buy a bell
Old 02-10-2007, 11:55 AM   #15
Sous Chef

But you have to re-vacuum every time you use it. Not super convenient.

I think the idea about ghee in the butter bell is very cool!! Thanks.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:12 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

How hard is it to stick the hose in the canister and hit one button? I would not call that inconvenient at all. I think it is as inconvenient or even less than having to change water in a bell every other day or so. Neither options seem that inconvenient to me.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:29 PM   #17
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
How hard is it to stick the hose in the canister and hit one button? I would not call that inconvenient at all. I think it is as inconvenient or even less than having to change water in a bell every other day or so. Neither options seem that inconvenient to me.
I adore my FoodSaver and use it all the time but I have to say that in a head-to-head contest, ghee in a butter bell beats ghee in a FoodSaver container - hands down - for super-fast ease of use and cleanup. That said, convenience is a totally subjective thing so if the FS container works for you that's fabulous!
Old 02-10-2007, 06:33 PM   #18
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I make ghee from two sticks of butter too. I store it in s small foodsaver container which vacuums all the air out so it is sort of like using a butter bell. I guess I could do the same thing with butter. I had never thought of that. Now I don't have to buy a bell
Give it a try and see what happens!
Old 02-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
Give it a try and see what happens!
I just put two sticks in a canister. My wife thought I was crazy, but that is nothing new
Old 02-10-2007, 09:24 PM   #20
Sous Chef

If it works well for you, it is great for me too. And if it didn't get done right away it seems as if it wouldn't matter a whole lot either. Molly Stevens says ghee can be left on the counter.