Canisters! What's in your kitchen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

choclatechef

Washing Up
I was just thinking about canisters. We need them to keep our foodstuffs safe from spoilage, from bugs, and that sort of thing.

But for me, standard canisters in housewares stores don't hit it. What do you like to use? What are the pros and cons.

Enquiring minds want to know......:LOL:

I use the Tupperware ones to store actual foods in. They're in the cabinet. The ceramic ones out on the counter contain rubber bands, recipe cards, twist ties from various things, a playing card with Elvis's picture on it (don't ask), and a whole bunch of those little packages of soy sauce, hot mustard, etc. from the Chinese takeout place.

I have three from Tupperware that are probably older than most of you..LOL they are round and stack on top of each other in my cupboard. One is for sugar..flour and rice.
Marge
P.S. Paul uses my "old" ones for screws, nails etc..they are antiques by now...

Last edited:
Dove said:
I have three from Tupperware that are probably older than most of you..LOL they are round and stack on top of each other in my cupboard. One is for sugar..flour and rice.
Marge

My Paul does the same thing.

I just leave my flour and sugar in the bags they come in.
I've never had a problem.

I have the big rectangular tupperware containers for flour and sugar (each holds a 5lb.bag-full) and I have the matching smaller rectangles for dark and light brown sugars, powdered sugar, chocolate chips and nuts. They're in my cupboard. I also keep bay leaves on all the shelves of my cupboards, as I've heard it keeps any creepy crawlies away. I've never seen one in there, so either it works, or I'm just lucky.
I don't keep any food on the counters except my fruit bowl.

I'm STILL looking for the perfect cookie jar! I can't find a good one!

Dove said:
Marge

I have the Tupperware ones too. You can tell how old they are by their colours. LOL. I store flour, brown sugar, white sugar, icing sugar and tea in them.

jkath said:
I'm STILL looking for the perfect cookie jar! I can't find a good one!

I had the durnest time finding a cookie jar I liked myself!

It took me years of searching. But I have one now, and I have never seen another one just like it.

I wish I had a digital camera. But if I find something similiar online, I will post a photo.

It looks like an old time country store glass candy jar and is made of aqua glass.

Your cookies last long enough to go in a cookie jar? I gave up on that years ago. If I manage to actually get any off the racks and into something, they go into the 4 liter pails from ice cream. LOL. They never last more than a couple days.

Dad is diabetic, and I am fat and try not to eat too many!

My neices don't come visit that often to clean out the jar real fast.

This is similiar to my cookie jar, but mine can stand upright or at a slant. Also my jar is a lot larger and has a screw top metal lid.

img_118714_0_25b9ad47bf702bc64b297fa73ca3cbe0.jpg

jkath said:
I'd love to see a photo!

choc, if you ever see one on ebay (as I know that's your home away from dc) pm me :)

I sure will!

Maybe I can get my aunt to take a photo of it with her digital camera and she can send it to me so I can post it for you.

I will ask her next time I see her.

jkath said:
...also keep bay leaves on all the shelves of my cupboards, as I've heard it keeps any creepy crawlies away. I've never seen one in there, so either it works, or I'm just lucky...QUOTE]

Reminds me of the old joke about this guy who walks around snapping his fingers constantly.

When asked why he did that, he replied, "It keeps the elephants away."

"That's silly, there isn't an elephant within a thousand miles!"

"Works pretty well, doesn't it?" :ROFLMAO:

hehe Andy

I have porcelin canisters for flour / sugar / coffee.

I have several clear glass ones with the rubber fittings and the latch type lids that I have filled up with rices, b. sugar, cornmeal, beans, etc.

I also have some plastic click-clacks (I think that's what they're called) which are also air-tight that I use for granola, croutons, oatmeal and such.

Whenever I open a box or bag of stuff I put what I don't use into some type of container. I HATE bugs. It doesn't matter how clean you are if something has an opening they manage to sneak their way in.

:heart:
Z

I have never been able to use any sort of container on the couter tops as hubby does not like anything left out on it - well except the fruit bowl and the knife rack, the small electric kettle and the bottle of hand soap... I have had to find places inside the cupboards for everything that usually lands on the counters in a normal kitchen.

I do have the tupperware modulars in my pantry, they are getting old now - since 1988 - so I am going to have to start replacing them as I don't like the smell that some of them start to give off after a few years. I leave all foods in their bags and just store the bags in the plastic containers.

Like most of you I use Tupperwear. A few years ago I sold Tupperwear. You guessed it. I have a container for everything. I especially like the fact that they stack and they came with labels so everything in my pantry is neat and labeled. I love it!:-p

I gave up on the fancy ones years ago. They just don't work in Fl. Tupperware works ok but takes up too much room. I finally settled on zip lock freezer bags. I put my brown sugar in one and put it in the crisper of my refrigerator and it never gets hard. The gallon size will hold 5 pounds of sugar or flour. Since I've been using them I"ve never seen an elephant or a bug. :)

Have my Mom's old aluminum set for flour, sugar, coffee, & tea. She kept the grease strainer.

Charlotte, lots of ladies on the Kitchen forum at THS don't allow canisters or paper towel holders on their countertops. I find that so strange. My kitchen is definitely no showplace, but it is user friendly. Even once it's remodeled it'll still be a comfortable place to cook without reaching behind cabinet doors for everything. :rolleyes:

97357924.jpg

I use aqua colored vintage canning jars and gallon Horlicks jars as canisters in my kitchen.

The major disadvantage is the small mouth of the jars, but it is surpassed by the inexpensive decorative effect -- at least in my eyes.

Besides, I can buy as many as I want and never break the bank, and I can see what is inside.

img_118909_0_ec4f371e3c13c16f6bad9e9822464c4c.jpg

img_118909_1_3e87ff68f0fc6d3fcba3578ee8b16873.jpg

Back
Top Bottom