Cast Iron observations & questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have two lodge pans, both pre seasoned. One was bought four years ago, which I think I did something to the coating, that it is flaking..the other pan is pretty good, almost non stick. I generally was the pans in hot water, wipe them dry, heat them up, then apply pam or oil on the pans.
Does any one know how I can stop the old pan from flaking..and re season it.
thanks

I think you want to remove all of the "pre seasoning" and re-season the pan from scratch. I am not sure how well that "flaking" seasoning is on there. The general methods for stripping cast iron should apply these usually involve either the self clean cycle of your oven or some combination of lye(or oven cleaner) and elbow grease. It is pretty hard to hurt your pan so dont worry.

Once you remove all the flaky stuff you should re-season with crisco or lard or your preference of fats.

One reason the old cast irons work better is because they were made better to begin with. The new Chinese ones are not as smooth inside as the old one.

I wash my pans with soap, dry them on the stove burner, and rub a little oil in each time.

Exactly what I do. Also, don't bother with the Lodge cast iron grill pans, they stink.

The easiest way I've found to remove grime, or old seasoning from cast iron is by taking your pan/s, placing them into a large plastic bag (yard cleanup type bag), along with a glass cerial bowl filled with amonia. Tie the end of the bag closed and let everything sit outside for twenty-four hours or so. The old carbon and grease will pretty much wipe right off. Wash with ordinary soap and water to remove anything that's still on the pan and re-season imediately.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check the country of origin...Out sourced iron from abroad tends to be very rough. That could explain what you are seeing...Buy new or old lines of American made iron if possible.

UB, what I was seeing was an intentional texturing of the surface. The texturing was very similar to a basketball. I'm pretty sure it was a Lodge iron pan.

Far as buying more iron, I have 20+ pieces in the kitchen and around twice that in storage. Right about now I'm looking for the rare and exceptional.

I just put a coating of oil on the pan and put it in the oven for a few days, Every time I use the oven, I wipe on more oil and then just leave it in for the ride.

I am also a washer.

UB, what I was seeing was an intentional texturing of the surface. The texturing was very similar to a basketball. I'm pretty sure it was a Lodge iron pan.

ick I picked up (meaning handled not bought) a new "martha stewart" CI skillet at the store the other day to inspect this "new" cast iron and yep it had a really gross rough texture. I had never paid close attention before all the CI around had always been older.

The surface of an old wagner or griswold piece is smooth even after years of neglect. The difference in quality between a vintage and new is very apparent.

It is claimed that the new CI will perform fine with enough seasoning but I dont really care to find out.

ick I picked up (meaning handled not bought) a new "martha stewart" CI skillet at the store the other day to inspect this "new" cast iron and yep it had a really gross rough texture. I had never paid close attention before all the CI around had always been older.

The surface of an old wagner or griswold piece is smooth even after years of neglect. The difference in quality between a vintage and new is very apparent.

It is claimed that the new CI will perform fine with enough seasoning but I dont really care to find out.

The new Made In USA (Lodge) CI will and does perform fine. It is the out sourced Made In China products that have issues...

Fun!

I must respectfully disagree about the new Lodge. I have several old CI pieces and 3 newer Lodge. The Lodge has the sand cast bumps on the interior, and, for me, the pans are difficult to season and difficult clean as the surface is too irregular. I like the interior surface of the old cookware much better.

I must respectfully disagree about the new Lodge. I have several old CI pieces and 3 newer Lodge. The Lodge has the sand cast bumps on the interior, and, for me, the pans are difficult to season and difficult clean as the surface is too irregular. I like the interior surface of the old cookware much better.

Obviously you cannot compare old iron to new(er) iron. In time, and with proper seasoning/use the Lodge will be just as smooth.

Have Fun!

I hope that you are right. I bought the newer Lodge a few years back as they are items that I could not find used. I have noticed that my 2 burner griddle is becoming smoother
but it is now 4 or 5 years and it gets nearly daily use. A square 10 frying pan, also a few years old, is used mostly for a bacon press, and so the interior gets little use.

Uncle Bob is right. I have a couple Lodge cast iron pans that had very grainy surfaces when I got them. They are now very smooth. I have no problem with them. They do take a bit more time to heat up do to the fact that they simply have more metal in them than the Griswold and Wagner pans. But them again, this makes them better suited to chores that require the ability to transfer more heat to foods, and hold the temperature stable when new food is added to the pan.

Like with most things, there are advantages and disadvatages to Lodge pans. But IMHO, the advantages far outweigh the disadvatages, unless you have weak wrists.:ROFLMAO:

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I was in the houseware section of the Box Store today and found myself next to the Lodge pans.

Last time I checked the Lodge pans had the basketball finish, today I see the pans now have a rough finish such as from a sand cast mold.

I wouldn't want a surface that needed filled with crud to become smooth.

I want a surface that needed filled with FLAVOR to become smooth.

fixed!

all joking aside, I saw lodge pans at marshalls for REAL cheap. I have a cast iron grill pan that I use, I think it's emerils brand? works good after cooking bacon in it a couple of times and just wiping clean. I haven't investing in a smooth pan yet, waiting to find one at a yard sale or something thats already been seasoned.

Not really.

I'm all for seasoned pans, I have plenty of them.

Seasoning a smooth iron is seasoning, these rough finishes on newer pans promote the buildup of crud.

Only real purpose I can see with these newer rough finishes is to make it easier for the beginner.

A question to Mexicokaren-has your CI cracked or shattered when you wash it after cooking. I let mine cool down b4 washing.

Not really.

I'm all for seasoned pans, I have plenty of them.

Seasoning a smooth iron is seasoning, these rough finishes on newer pans promote the buildup of crud.

Only real purpose I can see with these newer rough finishes is to make it easier for the beginner.

I don't think there's anything easier for the beginner about the rough surface. In my initial seasoning process I would try to brush lard onto the hot pan with a paper towel and the stupid texturing would tear up my paper towel. And don't even think about trying to cook eggs in one of those pans until it's had at least a few months of use to fill in some of those crevices. I hadn't really thought about it much before now, but I'm leaning towards agreeing with you on your crud theory of new cast iron. My wok doesn't require any buildup, neither does my Griswold.

I have one of the new Lodges, a 12" skillet, have had it for about 6 years. While it is smoother now, it isn't anywhere near as smooth as my Griswold 10" and it never will be. It also doesn't distribute heat as well, despite being a bit thicker.

As far as how I clean mine, I'm another from the bamboo wok brush/hot water/no soap/dry it on the stove burner school. I used to keep my two skillets upside down on the top rack in the oven, and I believe that is the happiest place for them if you can do it, but since I got a baking stone, there isn't really room.

As I posted in another thread, my Lodge pan is probably going to be replaced soon with a carbon steel (black steel? blue steel? I'm really not clear on the naming of these things) one.

One thing I have threatened to do with my rough Lodge pans is to take them to the garage and attack them with the random orbit sander. I really believe the only reason for the rough surface is the elimination of one step in the manufacturing process. Personally, I would rather have the manufacturer mill the interiors and let me do the seasoning, since I do it anyway.

Back
Top Bottom