"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 04-03-2008, 04:46 PM   #31
Head Chef

I hope that you are right. I bought the newer Lodge a few years back as they are items that I could not find used. I have noticed that my 2 burner griddle is becoming smoother
but it is now 4 or 5 years and it gets nearly daily use. A square 10 frying pan, also a few years old, is used mostly for a bacon press, and so the interior gets little use.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #32
Master Chef

Uncle Bob is right. I have a couple Lodge cast iron pans that had very grainy surfaces when I got them. They are now very smooth. I have no problem with them. They do take a bit more time to heat up do to the fact that they simply have more metal in them than the Griswold and Wagner pans. But them again, this makes them better suited to chores that require the ability to transfer more heat to foods, and hold the temperature stable when new food is added to the pan.

Like with most things, there are advantages and disadvatages to Lodge pans. But IMHO, the advantages far outweigh the disadvatages, unless you have weak wrists.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #33
Sous Chef

I was in the houseware section of the Box Store today and found myself next to the Lodge pans.

Last time I checked the Lodge pans had the basketball finish, today I see the pans now have a rough finish such as from a sand cast mold.

I wouldn't want a surface that needed filled with crud to become smooth.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #34
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wart View Post

I want a surface that needed filled with FLAVOR to become smooth.
fixed!

all joking aside, I saw lodge pans at marshalls for REAL cheap. I have a cast iron grill pan that I use, I think it's emerils brand? works good after cooking bacon in it a couple of times and just wiping clean. I haven't investing in a smooth pan yet, waiting to find one at a yard sale or something thats already been seasoned.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #35
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMcMurphy View Post
fixed!
Not really.

I'm all for seasoned pans, I have plenty of them.

Seasoning a smooth iron is seasoning, these rough finishes on newer pans promote the buildup of crud.

Only real purpose I can see with these newer rough finishes is to make it easier for the beginner.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:58 AM   #36
Sous Chef

Quote:

Only real purpose I can see with these newer rough finishes is to make it easier for the beginner.
and cheaper for the producer
Old 06-08-2008, 09:24 PM   #37
Cook

A question to Mexicokaren-has your CI cracked or shattered when you wash it after cooking. I let mine cool down b4 washing.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
A question to Mexicokaren-has your CI cracked or shattered when you wash it after cooking. I let mine cool down b4 washing.
No, I've never had a problem. But it is very old and very heavy CI.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:02 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Quote:
Not really.

I'm all for seasoned pans, I have plenty of them.

Seasoning a smooth iron is seasoning, these rough finishes on newer pans promote the buildup of crud.

I don't think there's anything easier for the beginner about the rough surface. In my initial seasoning process I would try to brush lard onto the hot pan with a paper towel and the stupid texturing would tear up my paper towel. And don't even think about trying to cook eggs in one of those pans until it's had at least a few months of use to fill in some of those crevices. I hadn't really thought about it much before now, but I'm leaning towards agreeing with you on your crud theory of new cast iron. My wok doesn't require any buildup, neither does my Griswold.

I have one of the new Lodges, a 12" skillet, have had it for about 6 years. While it is smoother now, it isn't anywhere near as smooth as my Griswold 10" and it never will be. It also doesn't distribute heat as well, despite being a bit thicker.

As far as how I clean mine, I'm another from the bamboo wok brush/hot water/no soap/dry it on the stove burner school. I used to keep my two skillets upside down on the top rack in the oven, and I believe that is the happiest place for them if you can do it, but since I got a baking stone, there isn't really room.

As I posted in another thread, my Lodge pan is probably going to be replaced soon with a carbon steel (black steel? blue steel? I'm really not clear on the naming of these things) one.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:11 PM   #40
Head Chef

One thing I have threatened to do with my rough Lodge pans is to take them to the garage and attack them with the random orbit sander. I really believe the only reason for the rough surface is the elimination of one step in the manufacturing process. Personally, I would rather have the manufacturer mill the interiors and let me do the seasoning, since I do it anyway.