"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 02-19-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cast Iron Seasoning Help

I have a skillet, which was slightly rusty and the seasoning wasn't optimal. So, I stripped it with electrolysis and a wire wheel.

Then I cleaned it with cold water, dish soap, and a paper towel. I heated it to 200º, and put flax seed oil on it, and wiped that off.
After that, I heated the oven to 400º or more, and left it in for an hour.

I've done this process (cool off, apply flax seed oil, heat to 400-500 for 1hr+) eight times, and yet my food still sticks very badly - much worse than the old seasoning.

For example, when I tried to cook an egg after the sixth or seventh time, I wondered if I would ever get it all off. So, I did what I could and put it back in @ 500 for 2hr.

Then, I tried to cook bacon and even some of that stuck to the pan.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Old 02-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Check out this link and go to the section titled, "Refurbish Your Finish". Do what it says and you will be fine. Lodge - Seasoned Cast Iron

The key is to use the lightest coating possible. Excess oil will create stickiness.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
The key is to use the lightest coating possible. Excess oil will create stickiness.
I did that, there aren't any run marks etc. I was practically scrubbing off the extra oil.
I'll look at that link in a moment, thanks.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
Master Chef

I think Crisco works best.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:50 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When you cooked the egg, did you add some butter or oil to the pan first?
Old 02-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Yes, I added olive oil.
Some of it was hot, too; I fried some onions first. Then, I added some more olive oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
When you cooked the egg, did you add some butter or oil to the pan first?
Old 02-19-2014, 12:29 PM   #7
Executive Chef

The more you use it the better it will get.

Cast iron is not non-stick by any means. You need oil to cook things. You should not need anything to fry bacon though.
I would just continue to use the pan. Pans take time to get used to IMO.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #8
Head Chef

Your oven is way too hot, lower the temp to 300 degrees, bake upside down for an hour,turn off the oven and let the pan cool. Flaxseed oil has a low smoking temp! Don't add oil to a cold pan, heat it on the stove top then add the oil. Whip out all the oil and repeat 4 or 5 times. I think your problem is that your burning the oil into the iron. Food will stick to cast iron or stainless steel until a certain temp is reached and the food is at the same temp. If you try to move it before, it will stick, even bacon!

If I were you, I would start over. Scrub out the pan with very hot soap and water,Not cold water! This will open up the pours in the metal, Always apply oil to a warm pan. Even after I clean my pans and they have cooled off I heat them on the stove top just to smoking point, about 200 degrees, the I use a oiled peice of burlap to coat the pan with a thin coat of oil before storing. Hope this will help you, let me know. Joe
Old 02-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Great, detailed post. Thanks, I might get some lye and start over.
If I do, I think I'll grind or wheel the pan too, to make it smooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Your oven is way too hot, lower the temp to 300 degrees, bake upside down for an hour,turn off the oven and let the pan cool. Flaxseed oil has a low smoking temp! Don't add oil to a cold pan, heat it on the stove top then add the oil. Whip out all the oil and repeat 4 or 5 times. I think your problem is that your burning the oil into the iron. Food will stick to cast iron or stainless steel until a certain temp is reached and the food is at the same temp. If you try to move it before, it will stick, even bacon!

If I were you, I would start over. Scrub out the pan with very hot soap and water,Not cold water! This will open up the pours in the metal, Always apply oil to a warm pan. Even after I clean my pans and they have cooled off I heat them on the stove top just to smoking point, about 200 degrees, the I use a oiled peice of burlap to coat the pan with a thin coat of oil before storing. Hope this will help you, let me know. Joe
Old 02-19-2014, 01:36 PM   #10
Master Chef

a D/A grinder with wet emery cloth will get the pan as smooth as you could possibly want it.

When I've messed up the seasoning in my pans, I wiped them with cooking oil, no special kind, and heated on top of the stove until they quit smoking. Then I rubbed in a little more oil, and repeated the process. I did this about 4 times. Then I turned of the stove, let them cool for 5 minutes or so, wiped them with a sheen of cooking oil and let them air dry and cool.

I believe that the initial coatings fill the pores with oil, that hardens into carbon, and coats all of the metal. The subsequent repetitions creates a hard coating that resists damage. The final coating creates a lubricated, slippery surface.

This method has always worked for me. It's not the way Lodge does it. but like I said, it works for me.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cast iron, seasoning