"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 10-23-2007, 10:08 PM   #21
Master Chef

I'm betting the "bumps" inside the pot are mineral deposits ... so Callisto's method would work - or even just filling it up above the level where the sludge was and letting it sit over night. Then, you can use a green scrubbie and a MILD dishwashing soap to clean it. From what appears to be the "water line" I doubt the spout is clogged or coated with mineral deposits.

As for the rust around the rim of the lid - just use a paste of salt and oil to scrub it clean - wash with mild dishwashing soap, rinse, dry and give it a light coat of oil.

Of course to reseason it - you'll need to run a few pots of boiling water through it - until it doesn't have any taste - and then make a few pots of tea.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:13 PM   #22
Chief Eating Officer

The bumps are not mineral deposits. They are actually the sludge. I just have not wiped that part out yet. I wanted to see if just water would do it first. It is too sticky though so water alone will not do it.

That line you see is not a water line. I think that is just an imperfection in the pot. The liquid was actually higher than that. The entire spout will not be affected, but at least the bottom part was. That is actually the grossest part from what I can see.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:57 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
This is my favorite suggestion so far. Thank you so much Callisto.
You're welcome. Being a mom/aunt without a lot of disposable income you learn to clean things instead of just tossing them. Baking soda and vinegar become your best friend when fighting odor and sludge.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:01 PM   #24
Everymom

GB, have you done anything yet? If not, just fill the teapot with straight white vinegar and let it sit for a few hours. (Up to 24) The vinegar will remove anything that is stuck in there and it will be good as new. I use vinegar in my water distiller and its slick as anything for cleaning.

If that doesn't work, I'd go for a plastic scrubby pad (scotch brite or the like, I buy mine at the dollar store) they won't damage the enamel, but will get anything else out.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:07 PM   #25
Chief Eating Officer

I actually just got off the phone with the store that it came from. Even though the paperwork I got with the pot said no soap, the guy on the phone said a dish detergent will be fine. He said not to scrub it with anything abrasive. He suggested a q-tip for the spout.

I still really like the baking soda/vinegar idea. I think I am going to start with that and take it from there.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:11 PM   #26
Everymom

Just wipe it out with the vinegar, save the baking soda and bake with it! LOL.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:15 PM   #27
Chief Eating Officer

The last time I baked something was...hmmm...I really can't remember at least this way the baking soda will get some use.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:22 PM   #28
Everymom

Heh heh heh...you and kitchenelf are so much alike in some ways. Let us know how the teapot comes out.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:25 PM   #29
Chief Eating Officer

I sure will. i might save some of the sludge and send it to YT. I bet he could do some really interesting science experiments with it
Old 10-25-2007, 02:22 AM   #30
Master Chef

This has been fun researching, GB.

While a tea "purist" would never ever put soap in their teapot - because it will ruin the "seasoning" ... they also would not go off and leave tea in it. So, you're dealing with extraordinary circumstances ... and the rules get tossed out until you can recover the pot to serviceable status.

Once clean - fill with boiling water and allow to "steep" several times. Then, when the water has no "taste" to it - make a few pots of tea .... always tossing them. Then - when the tea taste "right" ... you've got it "seasoned"!

Oh - and only make one type of tea in it ... apparently, you season a pot for one type of tea - mixing teas also screws up the "seasoning".

Humm .. where is YT???