Chafing dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
I am either looking for a chafing dish or a casserole warmer, preferably electric. I am wondering what my options are.
The wife said to me I need something to keep my food warm while I am serving like a chafing dish. I calmly asked how many and how big. She says 5 of the ones that can take a large pan or 2 half pans.
Now I wish I could find something that would keep a pyrex dish warm. I have 5 or 6 8x8's ; 5 9x13's ; and 5 10x15's and probably another 1\2 dozen 2 or 3 qt dishes.
If I can't use those then what are my other options?

I already have 2 crockpots and am already planning on getting the 3rd. And yes we have cooked and served from both at the same time.

You can buy inexpensive chafing dish setups at costco ro sam's - the type with sterno heaters.

You could also get warming trays.

You can also rent this type of stuff.

I am a chafing dish princess. I have several of them....My favorite is my All-Clad chafing dish...it is expensive tho. Retails about $650...I got it on ebay for $400. It is beautiful!

My other favorite is a square chafing dish by Wolfgang Puck. It think I paid $30 for it...I took it to a Christmas party to keep some ribs warm and it worked perfectly. The host had two of her own that didn't keep anything warm...mine worked like a champ!

Another one you might consider if you want something electric is actually from HSN. I usually don't like their stuff...but Command Performance has a triple burner with 3 small saucepans. You can get a set of inserts to make it into three chafing pans. It is great...and a beautiful piece. Yes...I know...Cheesy...:pig:....from HSN...but it is nice.

Last edited:
My mother in law is the queen of HSN and actually have a set of that non stick cookware that they tout about so much. I'm going to plant flowers in it. So my only choices are sterno.... which i have used before but that is such a un-elegant presentation or HSN.
I'm sure there has to be another way... I may have to pay a shiney penny for it... but dear wife is worth it. :)
Besides, I am the rare guy who actually likes shopping for kitchen stuff. It's sort of like hunting.

Have you considered a warming tray (or two)? It's safe to use with your pyrex dishes, plus, you can use it to warm your serving plates, and/or to keep a meal that you've already plated warm. They have pages of them at Amazon.com.

The sterno wouldn't be unelegant if you were using the All-Clad chafing dish. It is beautiful...no one pays attention to the sterno.

Back
Top Bottom