"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 09-02-2004, 11:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguzigoldfish
i looked on ebay. no good deals right now. oh well.
Keep looking, you will find one. Also, don't get a new one, get one that is marked "Hobart". Hobart sold the brand to Whirlpool about 20 years ago, and the new machines do not have the quality that made the name Kitchenaid famous.

Old 09-06-2004, 04:19 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to runninduo
I have the 5 qt mixer and loved it. If you have a bed bath and beyond near or (or a linens n things) they retail for $249 there, but with a 20% off coupon (I get them weekly), the mixer comes to $200. I got mine for mother's day a year ago and I use it at least once or twice a week, usually more.

I was looking on amazon this morning for a friend and they had some refurbished ones. I don't know what kind of warranty it comes with, but it's worth a look.

Laur

Old 09-06-2004, 04:20 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russell
well I found the six quart pro one with all the wierd features. and its 249, plus it comes with the meat grinder and the matching spatula.
9by matching i mean to the mixer, not the meat grinder. lol)
Old 09-06-2004, 04:47 PM   #14
Master Chef

I don't think you're going to be able to beat $249 for the KA Pro 6 - that's about $125 cheaper than the best usual discounted price. Even with Christmas sales and rebates you're not going to beat that price on that model. The bottom of the line model they sell at WalMart is about $200 and it is smaller in capacity and power.

I have much less of a problem buying a factory referb than something used off ebay. The referb just means that whatever was going to break in the first year did and they fixed it, and it probably comes with a factory warranty as good as a new one (but double check the warranty). Something used off ebay always has the "buyer beware" warranty.

I know a lot of people love, and swear by, the 5-qt Artisan model - but it doesn't have as strong of a motor as the 5-qt Pro, which doesn't has as much power as the 6-qt Pro.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:59 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

I have a four and a half or five quart bowl...have mixed many dense cookies, decorator frostings and even bread without any problems. I have the tilt head and love it. Hope that information helps.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:51 PM   #16

I have been all over the internet on cooking and chefs forums, and the consensus is that the new Whirlpool kitchenaid mixers are not up to the standard of the old Hobart kitchenaid mixers.

For example on kitchenaid's own forum there are lots of complaints regarding quality: http://forum.kitchenaid.com/forums/t...p?TOPIC_ID=807.

See also: http://forum.kitchenaid.com/forums/t...p?TOPIC_ID=677

If I needed a new mixer, I would rather take my chance going with a Ebay auction with a seller with a decent reputation/feedback, and buying a good Hobart Kitchenaid. Even if the mixer needed some repairs down the line, the Hobart service people can fix it like new, and you will have a better machine than the new kitchenaids, and for less money.