"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 06-08-2016, 03:46 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

When I got the call from the court house asking me if I could take my granddaughter that day, I did take her. I was living with my daughter. I had broken up my home and went to live with her to help her out. I had only the clothes I owned. With my limited funds I went out and bought two of everything I would need. Two plates, two forks, two spoons, two knives, one cup and one glass. One med. Dollar Store 2 qt. saucepan, one wooden spoon and one spatula for turning food over. Like eggs. That pan served me for a month until I could get the time to go to yard sales and add the rest of what I needed to make a home for her. I had gotten her bed from her mothers home.

With just those few utensils I managed to make nutritious meals for the both of us. You get the gist of what I am trying to say. You don't always need the latest and greatest. What would you use if you were out in the woods and camping? You certainly don't haul a bunch of kitchen equipment with you. For food I applied for emergency Food Stamps. For the two of us it was an adventure in frugal living. If I had let the court know that I didn't even own a roll of toilet paper, my granddaughter would have gone into the State system of foster homes. With family help and my weekly paycheck, I was able to put together a home for both of us over time. Today, I am cleaning out my kitchen of a lot of stuff I no longer need. Less cleaning. And she is married with three children of her own.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:51 PM   #12
Master Chef

Essentials - in my order of most important to least impotant.

1. Reliable heat source
2. Reliable, and comfortable Chef's knife
3. Proper cutting board
4. heavy pots and pans, as good as you can afford.
5. Cooking spoons, turners, spatulas, and whisks.
6. Serving plates, platters, bowls, etc.
7. Lots of herbs, spices, and flavorings.
8. Imagination, and the willingness to take risks.

That's as basic as I can get.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:12 PM   #13
Senior Cook

As you cook more you will find out the things you need. At least that what's happening with me. My first big purchase was good quality pots and pans. Then I bought a pressure cooker. I got cook books about Mexican food and one pressure cooker cook book. I bought corn and implements to make tortillas from scratch.

My most difficult purchase was knives. I ordered just 3 knives and they didn't put me in the poor house. The first one arrived today. The other two will arrive tomorrow.

The bottom line is...Cook and you will see what you need. Let your passion lead you.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:56 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

I absolutely love all the responses here and everyone has been super helpful! In answer to some of the questions...

I like to cook anything and I am honestly just about starting off with cooking from scratch with dishes like: spaghetti bolognese, lasagne, fajitas etc but I am wanting to try all sorts of dishes!

Some of my favourite dishes are things such as casseroles and stews as well as any pasta dish really so I am hoping soon to make my own pasta to go with the dishes that I make.

A solid knife seems to be an overall view of one piece of equipment that would be good to get hold of and I honestly think that will probably be one of my first new purchases along with a good quality chopping board and then from there hopefully expand my kitchen to equipment that I can use regularly and create some new dishes to try!
Old 06-10-2016, 07:25 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmawson View Post
I absolutely love all the responses here and everyone has been super helpful! In answer to some of the questions...

I like to cook anything and I am honestly just about starting off with cooking from scratch with dishes like: spaghetti bolognese, lasagne, fajitas etc but I am wanting to try all sorts of dishes!

Some of my favourite dishes are things such as casseroles and stews as well as any pasta dish really so I am hoping soon to make my own pasta to go with the dishes that I make.

A solid knife seems to be an overall view of one piece of equipment that would be good to get hold of and I honestly think that will probably be one of my first new purchases along with a good quality chopping board and then from there hopefully expand my kitchen to equipment that I can use regularly and create some new dishes to try!
End grain cutting board is better for you knives. And you can also place a cheap plastic cutting sheet on the wooden cutting board, with different colors for different tasks, one for meats, one for strong flavored foods such as onions, garlic, peppers, etc., and one for veggies.

You have lots of culinary adventures ahead of you.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:24 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmawson View Post

Pasta is a great place to start!

No special equipment needed, you can work 1/3 or 1/4 of the dough at a time using a conventional rolling pin. No rolling pin, try an empty wine bottle!

Tags
cook, cooking