"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Old 06-07-2016, 04:36 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Cooking essentials...

I know there are probably a hundred and one posts asking this but I thought I would see what the view is of people!

I am new to cooking and initially bought everything on a very tight budget and bought for 'convenience' more than quality...

Now I am looking to improve my cooking, I am wondering what everyone sees as their 'cooking essentials'

What couldn't you live without in your kitchen?
What is the best things to buy to create better dishes in the kitchen?
And just any gadgets in general!

~ Paul

pmawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:02 PM   #2
Executive Chef
For us, that question has no easy answer. As we expand into different cuisines, our essentials expand. This is like the "pantry", condiment questions. There isn't a final, conclusive answer!

Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:12 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Cooking essentials...

I like my food processor, spice grinder (don't use it for coffee), Liddle Griddle, slow cookers, toaster oven, a few sharp knives, and an immersion blender.

However, when I went to college, I had the most miserable beat-up set of pots and pans, some very dull knives, and managed to make do.
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:15 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by pmawson View Post

...What couldn't you live without in your kitchen?
What is the best things to buy to create better dishes in the kitchen?
And just any gadgets in general!

~ Paul
First and foremost is your desire to be better and your commitment to learn. Learn your craft as well as you can. You create great dishes, your equipment doesn't.

That said, good ingredients and tools do help the process.

As you cook, you will build a pantry of ingredients you like and use regularly. (Don't ask us what you should have in your pantry, what you cook determines that.)

As far as equipment, a few good quality knives, pieces of cookware make life easier. Quality tools (not necessarily expensive tools) do make life easier.

Sets of knives are generally not necessary. Most of us here will tell you you can do 99% of your kitchen work with three knives. You can always add more knives later.

The same goes for cookware although manufacturers offer so many different sets, you might find one that works for you.

Electric tools can be super helpful and fun. A food processor, slow cooker, stick blender can make life easier.

If you do a lot of baking, a stand mixer is a godsend.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:17 PM   #5
Head Chef
Bare essentials

The question is too broad so I narrowed my thoughts to where the rubber meets the road food hits the heat.
  • I need a good heavy stainless steel skillet. 10" and/or 12".
  • 1 1/2 and 3-quart heavy bottom stainless pots.
  • Enamel coated cast iron dutch oven, 5 or 6 quart.
There are others that are very handy but those are essential for me.
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:46 PM   #6
Master Chef
"I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes... If you have any enterprise before you, try it in your old clothes." - Thoreau

I feel the same about cooking equipment!

I use my blender to puree soups and a mandoline to slice vegetables, that is about it as far as specialized equipment, I don't really need those items.

I think it is more important to learn to improvise and make do with what you have, to me that is the test of a real cook.

Like others have said a few sharp knives, heavy pots, pans, casseroles etc... is about all you need.

Relax and take your time to surround yourself with things that you find helpful, fun to use or just attractive to have in your kitchen. I'm in my 60's and I'm still buying and shedding items as I continue to putter around in the kitchen.
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:53 PM   #7
Wine Guy
I live in a tiny apartment at the moment. The kitchen came equipped with one drawer and five cupboards, so everything I use to cook, eat, or drink has to fit in that confining space. Therefore, I only have essentials right now. These include:
  • A cutting board
  • A handful of good knives. About three, like Andy said. I have a chef's knife
  • Two frying pans (1 non-stick, 1 is enameled cast iron), two small pots, and a dutch oven.
  • Spices. I have a lot. Maybe too many.
  • A food processor. It isn't a necessity, but has many functions and can even be used as a blender. I have it out at least 3 nights a week, so it ended up earning a spot on my counter top.

All my non-essentials are currently in storage until I find a more permanent residence. But having been constrained to using so few items, I may have to rethink whether I need all those things.
Steve Kroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:49 PM   #8
Sous Chef
I found I needed at least a 3.5 qt and a 1.5 qt pot with lids, a large saute pan with lid and an 8" and 10" fry pan. That's what I need, not what I have. I'm currently considering selling my copper set to get a stainless steel set that has more of what I want and would use.

A couple wooden spoons, a couple pancake flippers, a couple bowl scrapers, a slotted spoon, a decent potato masher, and a ladle. Later on I got tongs and a whisk although I don't think I really need those.

I haven't figured out the knives yet.

I have about 30 spices and I want to add a few more if I can.

A crock pot. A large casserole dish. A bread pan. A cookie sheet. Oh, and I went berserk and got a set of 9 measuring spoons and 8 measuring cups. And I think I'm going to look at getting some of those Silpat baking mats. I'm tired of the smoke alarm going off when the parchment paper turns black. My friend gave me a blender for Christmas (or maybe it's a food processor - I don't know the difference), but I haven't used it yet.
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:24 AM   #9
Master Chef
As you can see from the above responses, there's no pat answer to your question.
To be a better cook you need to be inspired. It could be that one quality cooking tool could do that for you. It's your wish list for your personal kitchen, and that's a wonderful concept.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #10
Senior Cook
If you like finely chopped vegetables, you cannot go wrong with this little manual food processor. Amazon.com: SHINKODA SK-2000E All In One 4-Cup Manual Food Processor, Black: Kitchen & Dining
It is the Shinkoda.
Easy to store and easy to clean.
Pans you like, if you think you will be baking, a cookie sheet and baking pans.
Heck I use mostly cheap stuff in my kitchen. A good set of measuring cups. I have the same ones as a poster above me.

More importantly what do you want to cook?

cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote

cook, cooking