"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 01-29-2006, 11:08 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajunCajun
... Do I just have crappy thermometers and need to upgrade, or am I doing this wrong? ...
You are doing it right - Your thermometers are bad.

A decent thermometer should be capable of being adjusted at either freezing or boiling, and properly indicate the other extreme without further adjustment. Back in my fast food days, we started with the probe tips in boiling water, and then moved each thermometer, one at a time, into an ice-water bath. In addition to checking/adjusting for the right temperature, it was also important to note how smoothly the pointer went from one extreme to another.

If there was jerkiness, or the needle seem to hang at any temperature during it's travel, the temperature of the garbage can was then measured for an indefinite period of time...

Tom

Old 01-29-2006, 06:14 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the info.

Any advice on brands or on how to get a quality thermometer? Should I consider going digital instead?

Thanks!
Paul

Old 01-29-2006, 08:18 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Digital thermometers are expensive, and hard to use for cooking meat in an oven.

Plus, most are not user-calibratable if the wrong temperature shows up.

I use a digital thermometer for gauging frying oil temperature, and restaurant supply type analog thermometers for everything else.

Tom
Old 02-01-2006, 06:01 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I am in the market for a new thermometer too - I am tired of my meat coming out dry as shoe leather, even though the thermometer says it isn't to temp.

I am going to try the calibration thing, but I think I just need a new one. I have heard Poulder (Polder?) or Maverick - does anyone have a preference - complaints about these two? I have a pork tenderloin in the fridge I am dying to make but won't until I purchase a new thermometer. Thanks.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:18 PM   #15
Master Chef

I just bought one of those digital probe thermometers with an alarm. I used it for the first time a couple of weeks ago, on one of those huge oven roaster chickens. It worked so beautifully! The alarm went off just when I thought it would and the bird was done perfectly. I've wanted one for years because I was tired of squinting at the dial of my old thermometer, and guessing is just that. Mine is made by Polder. The next time a friend wants a cooking gift for just starting up, I'll buy them one. Sure beats just guessing and hoping for the best. I don't bake whole roasts or birds often enough to reallly get good at guessing at the timing, and this really works.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:20 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Claire - it sounds like we purchased the same thermometer! I absolutely love it! It works great - I highly reccommend it to anyone who needs one!