"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 11-29-2005, 07:54 PM   #1
Master Chef

Counter Tops?

I hope this is the right forum to put this in if not I'm sure it'll find its way there
What is the best counter top? I'm looking for something beautiful.....preferably stone or stone like. I want it to have beautiful edges and seamless if possible. I'm concerned about stains, scratches, chips, heat resistant. I've did a search but really haven't come up with anything.

Old 11-29-2005, 09:44 PM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
From my tour through Le Cordon Bleu MSP, they have some marble tops in their cooking classrooms. Was told it's supposed to be better then stainless.

My folks got some stuff I can't remember the name of, but I believe it began with a C. Some pricey stuff that's supposed to be dang near bullet proof. If I can remember it, I'll let you know.

Old 11-29-2005, 09:47 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Watched a show on HGTV, and if I recall there are glass countertops and backsplashes out now. Very pretty - and guessing very pricey. Poke around HGTV's site and look at kitchen shows and "I Want That."
Old 11-29-2005, 10:42 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Each countertop material has its pluses and minuses.

Granite - is heat resistant, may or may not have seams depending on the sizes of your counters. It will stain and requires regular treatment with a sealant liquid.

Silestone - factory made granite substitute = the same as granite except it's more stain resistant and does not require regular sealing.

Corian - not heat resistant, no seams. Scratches can be sanded or buffed out.

Ceramic tile - grout between tiles can stain if not sealed.

Concrete - a newer material for countertops. Heat resistant, no seams, available in a variety of colors and patterns. Prone to chipping.

Stainless - heat and stain resistant. Will have seams. Scratches can be buffed out. Can dent.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:46 AM   #5
Head Chef

I have granite and I would not change it for anything. It's practical, durable and attractive.

I have had in my old house and now in my new one and maintenance depending on the granite is minimal. You gotta seal it but I never sealed mine after the original install and it is fine.

I am an avid cook and I don't babysit my countertops and granite works well.

There are other options as Andy mentioned as well but here is my perspective on the more common fads:

Silestone: Quartz based and heat resitent and virtually maintenance free. I just don't like the uniform look.

Corian: Not heat resistent but comes in a variety of colors. Can scratch as well. It is a good choice if you like a seamless integrated sink. My opinon is that it's a lot of money and nothing more than a glorius laminate.

Soapstone: Does stain and needs to be oiled but very durable if you like an informal look.

Marble: Not a good choice (except as a baking prep surface) because it is a calcium based stone and etches and stains easily.

Stainless: More of an industrial look and may be suitable for some kitchens

Butcher Block: Durable and rustic. Need to be oiled and sanded to keep it looking new.

Tile: Not a good choice. Grout would get dirty and would need a lot of sealing.

Laminate: Good choice. Not high end but comes in a lot of colors.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:01 AM   #6
Master Chef

I have laminate, and after 20 years of use, it is wearing around the seams. But considering the cost, I'm well pleased with the performance.
I would love to have granite countertops.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:44 PM   #7
Everymom

OK, posting my two cents. When we redid the kitchen last year I chose Corian for a few reasons.

1. Seamless and undermount sink.
2. Colour choice
3. Very durable and any scratches buff out easily
4. Excellent guarantee and very repairable if I do something stupid.
5. I HATE tile or harder surface counters! I am a HUGE klutz and when we had tile counters and floors anything I dropped that didn't break when it hit the counter would bounce and break on the floor!
Old 11-30-2005, 01:25 PM   #8
Master Chef

Sounds like Granite is what I need to look into then. I'll do some further research on this one and see what I find. Thanks everyone!
Old 11-30-2005, 04:29 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
Sounds like Granite is what I need to look into then. I'll do some further research on this one and see what I find. Thanks everyone!
Talk to a kitchen remodeling company, visit their showroom. They can show you samples what each material looks like and give you good and bad of each.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:03 PM   #10
Executive Chef

We have a tile countertop, listen to everyone when they say it's not a good choice. The grout can get very stained and is hard to clean, especially when flour turns to a paste. Hopefully we will not be in this house for long...