"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 10-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #11
Head Chef

I'd have to disagree with plastic or plastic impregnated boards not dulling knives. Wood has many advantages, one of which is it is easier on knives.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #12
Executive Chef

I have a variety of cutting boards, from maple (2) to bamboo (3) to Plastic (2) to glass (1). I have 3 with channels; 1 maple, 1 bamboo, 1 plastic. I have an end grain bamboo board and a straight grain bamboo board with 4 holes that hold cups for putting my mess in place (mise en place).

I tend to gravitate to the bamboo boards because they're made with a sustainable material, they don't dull my knives and they don't need any special care; you use them, you wash them, you dry them, and you put them away.

I use the maple board with the drip channel for carving my Thanksgiving turkey because it is quite large. I use the bamboo board with the drip channel for most other meat and poultry that I expect to leak juices.

I shy away from plastic because your knives will create cuts that harbour bacteria that will continue to grow inside the board, even after a trip through the dishwasher, and will be released the next time you cut something on the board. I pretty much save the plastic board for slicing bread and cutting fresh vegetables.

The glass board is strictly to work with doughs because, with a little bench flour, it's a practically non-stick work surface and it's easy to clean up afterwards.

I hope this encourages some thought before buying your cutting board, or boards.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:02 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
I'd have to disagree with plastic or plastic impregnated boards not dulling knives. Wood has many advantages, one of which is it is easier on knives.
It's not plastic, it's a resin. It does not dull knives any faster than plain wood.