"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 06-12-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
Cook

Did I damage my pots?

so i got some new pots. Yesterday i made some barley soup for me and the wife. She likes hers differently than i do, so i used two pots. in each pot i had it on a medium high heat, and first put in some olive oil and browned the chicken chunks. once they were golden brown, i poured in my broth and started the soup. an hour later, when i was cleaning the pots, i noticed that each of them look almost cloudy at the bottom, not the nice pristine shiny that they were. is this normal? or did i damage them? i'm wondering if it was just too hot when i poured in the broth? there's no black whatsoever, just cloudy...

Old 06-12-2007, 04:51 PM   #2
Sous Chef

I'v had this same problem with a bunch of my pots (several times) I find that I can just wash it off.

Live Strong
SurvivorGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
Cook

they look alright when it's wet, but when it dries, it looks cloudy. maybe i can post a picture in here and show you... standby..
Old 06-12-2007, 04:53 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Use some Barkeeper's Friend, a mild abrasive cleanser, to get that new pot shine back. It's available at most markets and kitchen stores.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
Cook

Thanks gang :)

Attached is a picture of the pot
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1072 (Small).JPG
Views:	136
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	2782  
Old 06-12-2007, 06:41 PM   #6
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Mine look like that somethimes when they come out of the dishwasher. No damage is done. Just ignore it and it will go away, probably the next time you heat a liquid in that pan.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:19 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
You are suffering from "new car ding" syndrome. You are proud of your nice new, shiny pots and pans and the first scratch or imperfection has made you sad. I know how that feels, but don't worry. Your pan looks like normal use and the others will, in time, look the same way.

Enjoy your new cookware.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #8
Cook

Katie, i think you've hit the nail on the head! we were given these pots a few weeks ago, and i finally put away everything (the old stuff) , then this was the first time i used em!. I almost wanted to puke when i seen that. I'm glad it's normal, and feel re-assured. Thanks everyone
Old 08-07-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
Cook

Like someone said earlier... try using the Bar Keepers Friend cleanser. I myself just got a new set of All Clad stainless and noticed that if I dont use the BKF cleanser that they start to look cloudy or blue also. Its real easy to use... requires no muscle effort... just a few circular wipes with the grain of the stainless and they stay shiney and new looking. It removes all evidence of unseen food and soap residue which is what causes that yucky look. You can find it in your grocery store near the other liquid or powdered cleansers.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:18 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Bar keepers friend is an ideal cleaner for ss cookware, but to remove that white, cloudy build-up, just drizzle a little lemon juice in your pot and wipe with a paper towel. It will also work if you see a bit of a rainbow patina appear.