Do you know how to use chopsticks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
YT2095 said:
yes I can and do use them, and even cook with them, right or left handed also.

the image of edward scissorhands just popped into my mind. :)

yt chopstickhands.

I`m Equimanual, so right/left has no real meaning to me in a practical sense, in fact rather annoyingly when giving directions for instance I point "this way" and then turn "That way" as it takes me a while to figure which is which, and for someone my age it`s quite embarasing. I can even write with both hands at the same time too.

Yep YT, chopsticks are often great as a cooking tool. Unfortunately my right hand is totally dominant, my left is basically just there for balance as far as I can figure. So it goes.

I actually prefer Japanese chopsticks and have about a zillion sets in my utensil drawer.

I was told that when eating sushi (or I guess anything from a communal dish) you use the larger end to transfer food to your own plate and then use the narrower end to eat with. Sounds logical and more sanitary to me so thats what I've been doing.

If you can't use chopsticks or have little ones trying desperately to get them to work, here's a trick:

Wrap a small rubber band on the very end of both chopsticks joining the ends together. Take the wrapper and roll it up like a 'cigar'. Place the wrapper about an inch in front of the rubberband. The wrapper acts like a pivot and the rubberband holds them together and opens them.

jakes_chopsticks.jpg

I like the shape of the longest of the dark brown pair in BTs picture, that sort of tip you can pick a single grain of rice up with, and large enough to be practical for different applications too.

I don`t like the plastic ones or the metal ones, I`ve used them and I`m not impressed.

the Snap apart wooden ones that come free with some dishes are quite respectable too.

I was reading about Vietnamese table manners, and it discussed proper use of chopsticks. It said the further up on the doi dua (chopstick) that you them indicates your level of mastery. The further down you hold them, the less skillful you are,. Children hold theirs far down close to the “food end”. Also, they say the chopstick should never touch any part of your mouth (lip, teeth, tongue) etc. This makes sense because they often use the chopsticks they eat with to get food from the serving dishes. If you aren’t good at using chopsticks, you can ask for a fork, but you should announce that you are inadequate with the doi dua and need the fork.....don’t just ask for a fork. Never stab your food with the chopstick. Don’t use them as a shovel.

While you can get a fork, you never get a knife at the table. The Vietnamese have a saying adopted from Chinese that says “We sit down to eat not cut up carcasses”.

Here's a cool link.

And another more in-depth one.

I wonder if the Chinese and Japanese follow these same rules of etiquette? I remember seeing movies and shows where Chinese would hold the bowl of rice or noodles up to their mouths and shovel the food in.....but this appears to be bad etiquette to the Vietnamese.

Keltin, my post above says that the Japanese use the other end of their chopsticks to avoid contaminating a communal dish. So I would say there is at least one difference in the chopstick etiquette there.

Alix said:
Keltin, my post above says that the Japanese use the other end of their chopsticks to avoid contaminating a communal dish. So I would say there is at least one difference in the chopstick etiquette there.

I just read that. Makes sense. I wonder if they do that with sauced meats and stuff....wouldn't you get your hands dirty? Maybe they invented the term "finger licking good"???? :LOL:

I am not sure, but I don't think the "holding the chopsticks further from the eating end" thing is as big an issue for the Japanese. They seem to hold theirs pretty close to the middle so they can use both ends as needed.

I always thought that Japanese help their chopsticks at the furthest end possible. That is how my dad held his when I was growing up and mom always said that was the Japanese style. Of course that does not mean she was right :LOL:

I don't know GB, I have never been to Japan. I just read about this in a Sushi Etiquette book, and observed the Japanese patrons at the restaurant I frequent for my sushi fix. They seem to hold their chopsticks close to the wide end, but leave room to use them. And they DO seem to use them as I mentioned.

Any folks of Asian descent able to clarify any of this for us?

I know it's not considered impolite to take a large piece of meat or vegetable, (one that is not bite size), take a bite from it, and return it to your own plate while you chew what is in your mouth.

I prefer chinese chop sticks because I prefer the square shape to the round of japanese chop sticks.

You realize, of course, that I'm now jonesing for kung pao chicken...?

Actually, I always understood that the Japanese eat nigiri & maki sushi with their fingers - not with chopsticks at all. That's how I always saw it done in the Japanese restaurants in NY, & when dining in Japanese restaurants with Japanese clientele here in VA.

BreezyCooking said:
Actually, I always understood that the Japanese eat nigiri & maki sushi with their fingers - not with chopsticks at all. That's how I always saw it done in the Japanese restaurants in NY, & when dining in Japanese restaurants with Japanese clientele here in VA.
Both ways are correct. You can eat it with your fingers (it is considered finger food), but chopsticks are also acceptable.

Jeekinz said:
Can ya just stab the food and eat it that way?

Not according to the Vietnamese. Stabbing food is poor etiquette according to them. I don’t know about Chinese or Japanese.....but I have seen people do it.......they weren’t Asian though.:LOL:

and also difficult with flat ended, although if your Partner doesn`t mind X quantity in her lap as result of your efforts....

GB said:
That would be considered impolite.

It seems there are a LOT of Western ways that are impolite. I often times really wished we had more “discipline” and etiquette here like they do in Asia. When I was taking martial arts, my last Sensei was very traditional with etiquette and mannerisms. Not all Sensei are that way though. I had one instructor that was very good, and a national champion, but he was very sports oriented as opposed to the art and discipline. I left that dojo after a very short while because of that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom