Do you know how to use chopsticks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You are probably thinking Chinese food CantCookButLoveToEat. Sushi on the other hand is not served with spoons though. You can get a large platter with lots of pieces. People all take from the communal platter. It is considered rude to take pieces from the communal platter with the end you eat from. It is kind of the equivalent of double dipping your chip into the dip.

Typically one would use the butt ends of the chopsticks if picking out of a communal platter.

I was born and raised in Japan so even to this day I prefer chopsticks over a fork depending on what I'm having.

You do not hold the sticks at the very end. You hold then a little ways down. The back end of the sticks are generally not touching anything. Plus, why are your hands grimey? I wash mine before I eat :LOL:
You know those people that won't shake hands? I'm one of those. You can wash them 2 seconds before you reach out to shake, but I won't do it. I've also been at a dinner table with others more than once where people coughed in their hands at the table. I just picture someone coughing, grabbing their chopsticks, and then touching the food. Shivers.

I'm not very good with chopsticks. But, I find that if I wrap an elastic around the two of them, I can manouver them much better, and get the food to my mouth. :)

I'm not very good with chopsticks. But, I find that if I wrap an elastic around the two of them, I can manouver them much better, and get the food to my mouth. :)
Cheater chopsticks. Actually featured in several movies and an episode of CSI:NY. You also need to add a buffer like a piece of paper rolled up to make the chopsticks bounce against each other.

I can use chopsticks fine, but I've never understood people's fascination with using a less-efficient eating instrument (in 99% of the situations in America).

I can use chopsticks fine, but I've never understood people's fascination with using a less-efficient eating instrument (in 99% of the situations in America).
Efficiency is not the only goal in eating. There is a pleasurable aesthetic involved as all. There are some people who will also say that eating with chopsticks is a good way to ensure you do not make a pig out of yourself. You can put WAY too much food on a fork, but it is not easy to do that with chopsticks.

There are some people who will also say that eating with chopsticks is a good way to ensure you do not make a pig out of yourself. You can put WAY too much food on a fork, but it is not easy to do that with chopsticks.

I'll keep that in mind the next time I watch someone shovel rice into their piehole at light speed with the bowl a 1/2 inch from their mouth. :LOL:

EDIT: I was really just looking for an excuse to say "piehole" :P

Efficiency is not the only goal in eating. There is a pleasurable aesthetic involved as all...
I agree. Eating at our favorite Japanese restaurant is a real treat for me, and I always use chopsticks when there. The whole experience, including the food, the service, the atmosphere, and using chopsticks, is a treat for me.

:)Barbara

I sure do. As a child I was the only one that would use them when we ate chinese. I hadn't used them in forever till about 6 months ago when we went out and I saw a pair offered at the chinese place. I love them and would love to buy a really nice pair.

Yes I do!
Been using them since I was 16 and got my drivers license.
Eating at a oriental restraunt was an affordable date night for my minimum wage pocket:LOL:

I love using them, but today, I was chopstick challenged. I could not use a chopstick to save my life today! It was those big fat plastic ones.

Can use chopsticks

I learned to use chopsticks while in Japan. I prefer to eat Asian foods with chopsticks.:chef:

Back
Top Bottom