"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 11-12-2007, 11:36 PM   #61
Sous Chef

I have never used chopsticks and this thread has piqued my curiosity. I checked Google and have found two different ways to hold the chopsticks. One method uses the first and second fingers, while the other uses the first three fingers. Is one method more correct, or is it simply a matter of cultural differences?

Old 11-13-2007, 02:26 AM   #62
Head Chef

The correct way as I know it (which my uncle from mainland China lauded as proper and correct) uses the thumb and next three fingers. Only the pinky is not used.

Is my uncle correct? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe somebody else had a different upbringing and therefore was told differently too.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:37 AM   #63
Assistant Cook

I eat left handed and have used chopsticks for years, though I have recently found out that is likely improper in some Eastern countries. When our daughters came along it was interesting trying to teach them to use them right handed.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:09 AM   #64
Head Chef

I saw on a show -don't remmember where- but this person took a spring from a clothes pin and then inserted the chopsticks in the spring where the wooden part of the clothes pin was and then use his easy spring loaded chopstixs

also I have purchased small wooden tongs for people who couldn't use chopsticks.

you usually can find them in a kitchen suppy store. I think they also sell them for taking toast out of a toaster. they work great for kids that want to feel like they are using chop stixs
Old 11-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #65
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
I learned to use chop sticks by the illustrations on the wrapper and by using them for almost everything until I felt comfortable. Pop up a big bag of pop corn and go at it with some chop sticks. After a while you will get the hang of it. I think my biggest problem was using to much pressure and the food would snap out of my grip. Patients Grasshoppper, if small children can figure it out I have faith you will master the chop sticks.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:47 PM   #66
Sous Chef

I picked up some chopsticks at the store last night after dinner but have not had a chance to use them. I went to a Japanese restaurant for lunch today. I would not have asked for chopsticks but since every place setting included both a fork and chopsticks, I decided to give it try. I was able to get all of the chicken, and most of the vegetables and noodles. I had to resort to the fork for a few stray noodles, a couple of thin onions that were stuck to the plate and the rice. As for the rice, does anyone have any advice?
Old 11-21-2007, 11:28 PM   #67
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
I picked up some chopsticks at the store last night after dinner but have not had a chance to use them. I went to a Japanese restaurant for lunch today. I would not have asked for chopsticks but since every place setting included both a fork and chopsticks, I decided to give it try. I was able to get all of the chicken, and most of the vegetables and noodles. I had to resort to the fork for a few stray noodles, a couple of thin onions that were stuck to the plate and the rice. As for the rice, does anyone have any advice?
Keep it dry - don't add any dressing or sauce to the rice so that it stays clumpy. Much easier to pick up that way. Also, if served in the bowl, you can raise the bowl closer to your mouth so it becomes a bit more of a shovelling technique. Seems to be au fait in all the Japanese, Chinese, Korean and Thai restaurants that I go to.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:26 AM   #68
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilby View Post
Keep it dry - don't add any dressing or sauce to the rice so that it stays clumpy. Much easier to pick up that way. Also, if served in the bowl, you can raise the bowl closer to your mouth so it becomes a bit more of a shovelling technique. Seems to be au fait in all the Japanese, Chinese, Korean and Thai restaurants that I go to.
That makes sense. Unfortunately, the rice at the restaurant was none of the things you mentioned.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:30 AM   #69
Executive Chef

Okay then!! You end up eating the rice painstakingly slowly as you struggle to grasp a single grain of rice at a time!!LOL That's been my experience when it is overly moist. Push it together as best you can and shovel. Not proper, but you could discreetly place your finger at the side of the plate and push the rice against your finger to stop the rice going everywhere as you try to grasp it.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:39 AM   #70
Chief Eating Officer

For rice, you basically keep the sticks very close together and use then like a shovel. It takes some practice, but you can get a good amount of rice on the sticks this way. Just keep practicing.