Do you know how to use chopsticks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have never used chopsticks and this thread has piqued my curiosity. I checked Google and have found two different ways to hold the chopsticks. One method uses the first and second fingers, while the other uses the first three fingers. Is one method more correct, or is it simply a matter of cultural differences?

The correct way as I know it (which my uncle from mainland China lauded as proper and correct) uses the thumb and next three fingers. Only the pinky is not used.

Is my uncle correct? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe somebody else had a different upbringing and therefore was told differently too.

I eat left handed and have used chopsticks for years, though I have recently found out that is likely improper in some Eastern countries. When our daughters came along it was interesting trying to teach them to use them right handed.

I saw on a show -don't remmember where- but this person took a spring from a clothes pin and then inserted the chopsticks in the spring where the wooden part of the clothes pin was and then use his easy spring loaded chopstixs

also I have purchased small wooden tongs for people who couldn't use chopsticks.

you usually can find them in a kitchen suppy store. I think they also sell them for taking toast out of a toaster. they work great for kids that want to feel like they are using chop stixs

I learned to use chop sticks by the illustrations on the wrapper and by using them for almost everything until I felt comfortable. Pop up a big bag of pop corn and go at it with some chop sticks. After a while you will get the hang of it. I think my biggest problem was using to much pressure and the food would snap out of my grip. Patients Grasshoppper, if small children can figure it out I have faith you will master the chop sticks.

I picked up some chopsticks at the store last night after dinner but have not had a chance to use them. I went to a Japanese restaurant for lunch today. I would not have asked for chopsticks but since every place setting included both a fork and chopsticks, I decided to give it try. I was able to get all of the chicken, and most of the vegetables and noodles. I had to resort to the fork for a few stray noodles, a couple of thin onions that were stuck to the plate and the rice. As for the rice, does anyone have any advice?

I picked up some chopsticks at the store last night after dinner but have not had a chance to use them. I went to a Japanese restaurant for lunch today. I would not have asked for chopsticks but since every place setting included both a fork and chopsticks, I decided to give it try. I was able to get all of the chicken, and most of the vegetables and noodles. I had to resort to the fork for a few stray noodles, a couple of thin onions that were stuck to the plate and the rice. As for the rice, does anyone have any advice?
Keep it dry - don't add any dressing or sauce to the rice so that it stays clumpy. Much easier to pick up that way. Also, if served in the bowl, you can raise the bowl closer to your mouth so it becomes a bit more of a shovelling technique. Seems to be au fait in all the Japanese, Chinese, Korean and Thai restaurants that I go to.

Keep it dry - don't add any dressing or sauce to the rice so that it stays clumpy. Much easier to pick up that way. Also, if served in the bowl, you can raise the bowl closer to your mouth so it becomes a bit more of a shovelling technique. Seems to be au fait in all the Japanese, Chinese, Korean and Thai restaurants that I go to.

That makes sense. Unfortunately, the rice at the restaurant was none of the things you mentioned.

Okay then!! You end up eating the rice painstakingly slowly as you struggle to grasp a single grain of rice at a time!!LOL That's been my experience when it is overly moist. Push it together as best you can and shovel. Not proper, but you could discreetly place your finger at the side of the plate and push the rice against your finger to stop the rice going everywhere as you try to grasp it.

For rice, you basically keep the sticks very close together and use then like a shovel. It takes some practice, but you can get a good amount of rice on the sticks this way. Just keep practicing.

I like chopsticks. I usually just use the disposable bamboo guys, I have some nice ones but I don't even know if I've ever used them.

Yes I know how to use them. When I was married to ex , we use to frequent chinese restaurant a lot , we went with his mother and step father.

The great difference between eating the Chinese way and let us say the Western way is that the Chinese use chopsticks and Westerners use knives and fork- for main dishes, at any rate. This inevitably means that large piece of meat, fish and poultry are not possible at the Chinese table. Most dishes are therefore made up of mouth sized pieces which are taken up by chopsticks and transferred to the mouth.

They do not use knives either because their food is soft enough to use the chopsticks to pick their food off the plate.

Yes, I know how to use a chopsticks. I use it all the time for eating unless otherwise we have visitors. I also use chopsticks for stirring my food in the wok. I have a collection of chopsticks for the table too, some for men, some for women and a little collection for children. I have ceramic ones, wooden ones and metal ones, too...and different designs. I love chopsticks.

chopsticks

the way i see it, you either
1) don't know how to use chopsticks
2) use it the wrong way (me)
3) use it the correct way

but most importantly, dont hold chopsticks too close to the serving end - it looks weird.:LOL:

unless your mainland chinese, its not uncommon to fall under 2)/1)

so what im trying to say is: if you can't use chopsticks, use a fork.

And remember, if eating off of a communal platter, you reverse the sticks when removing food from the platter so the end that goes in your mouth doesn't touch the rest of the food.

One thing that really fascinates me is that westerners will use chopsticks with plates. I just don't understand it. How do you eat rice with it? It just makes me laugh. I will advise all my western colleagues that if they want to use chopsticks, please use a bowl and not use a plate.
My simple solution to that problem is I don't eat rice.

And remember, if eating off of a communal platter, you reverse the sticks when removing food from the platter so the end that goes in your mouth doesn't touch the rest of the food.

Good tip!

Whenever im out for chinese it feels wierd to use a knife and fork anymore.

But if you reverse the sticks then you use the end that your grimey hands have been holding and then the food gets on your hands. Why not just have extra sticks to remove the food with?

But if you reverse the sticks then you use the end that your grimey hands have been holding and then the food gets on your hands. Why not just have extra sticks to remove the food with?
You do not hold the sticks at the very end. You hold then a little ways down. The back end of the sticks are generally not touching anything. Plus, why are your hands grimey? I wash mine before I eat :LOL:

chopsticks

well...where i live, dishes come with a serving spoon or something so that you dont use your chopsticks to pick them up.

besides, i dont really think anyone really reverses the chopsticks just to pick up food.
at least thats what my little experience has told me.

Back
Top Bottom