"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 06-28-2005, 11:28 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to msalper
It was very usefull, helpfull. Once you know it, you can't give up. One week ago, it was broken and I understand how much it is important. I like nescafe and I can carry it with me. Ready hot water.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:38 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Yes I have an electric kettle. I'd never seen one until I met my hubby is who is originally from England. We found ours at Walmart for $30.

Old 07-02-2005, 09:03 AM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Like 99.999999 per cent of British households, we have an electric kettle. I've had electric kettles all my adult life - and my mum had them too when I was growing up, so they've been around for a long while here! The idea of 'nearly' boiling water (as Michael describes) wouldn't be good enough for real British style teas.. water has to be freshly boiled!
Absolutely Ishbel!!! I cringe to the bottom of my toes whenever we order a cup of tea at a cafe over here and they use 'nearly' boiling water from a water dispenser instead of proper boiling water...then they just put the hottish water in a mug and give you that, along with the teabag - so by the time you've paid and got to your table the water has really cooled down and is useless for making tea LOL! (Even worse is when they give you a teabag and an empty mug and point you in the direction of a plastic insulated carafe of hot water which has been sitting on a side table for several hours...)

It took us a while trawling over town to find one, and we had to pay $$$ for it, but an electric kettle was No. 1 on our list of things to buy the very day we moved over here We take it on vacation with us, as there is never anything to make tea with in a hotel room....and I also have one of those little plug-in electric elements that you stick right into a mug of water to boil the water - it takes a while to boil, but as long as I get a decent cuppa I don't mind the wait.

Paint.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:08 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

paint, off topic, but did you ever find a good butcher and fish monger?
Old 07-02-2005, 09:13 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Hi BuckyTom, I just got back from vacation last night and was reading the local village monthly paper and found that the farmers market here sells fresh fish, apparently frozen within 1 hour of being caught, so that might be worth a try. I'm also going to spend a day visiting some of those gourmet food stores/deli's next week and see what they are like - thankyou!!

Paint.
Old 07-02-2005, 05:21 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint
Absolutely Ishbel!!! I cringe to the bottom of my toes whenever we order a cup of tea at a cafe over here and they use 'nearly' boiling water from a water dispenser instead of proper boiling water...then they just put the hottish water in a mug and give you that, along with the teabag - so by the time you've paid and got to your table the water has really cooled down and is useless for making tea LOL! (Even worse is when they give you a teabag and an empty mug and point you in the direction of a plastic insulated carafe of hot water which has been sitting on a side table for several hours...)

It took us a while trawling over town to find one, and we had to pay $$$ for it, but an electric kettle was No. 1 on our list of things to buy the very day we moved over here We take it on vacation with us, as there is never anything to make tea with in a hotel room....and I also have one of those little plug-in electric elements that you stick right into a mug of water to boil the water - it takes a while to boil, but as long as I get a decent cuppa I don't mind the wait.

Paint.

BLECH! 'Nearly' boiling water must be h ell to try to make tea! I don't understand why an electric kettle is such an 'exotic' item in the US! Here they aren't too expensive. Mine's a Russell Hobbs which is a bit more expensive, but you can get an electric kettle for 12 pounds (I had a look at the prices in Curry's today!).
Old 07-02-2005, 09:09 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Ishbel, the worst thing was the day we arrived here, just off the plane, totally exhausted & jetlagged, and we stopped off on our way to the hotel to visit my husband's new work partner at his house - his wife very kindly offered me a cup of tea (she had bought teabags specially for me), which I gladly accepted as I was gasping for a cuppa.....she then proceeded to put the teabag in the cup and add hot water from the tap......it was the worst cup of tea I've ever had in my life, but I had to force it down to be polite, because she had been so thoughtful LOL!

We also have the additional problem of our house being at 7,200ft above sea level - water boils at a lower temperature because of the altitude, so it REALLY has to be a good rolling boil to even have a chance of making good tea!

Paint.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:19 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russell
I do have one and I use it almost everyday...most of the time to make hot chocolate, but ocasionally for tea.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:50 PM   #19
Master Chef

I'm still at basics level ... the high tech I NEED is a whistling tea kettle ... and I mean really loud. I bought a cutesy scandinavian (expensive) designer one, and couldn't hear its whistle if I was in the next room. Returned it. That whistle has to make me wake up and run.

I agree, when it comes to tea, the water has to have really boiled.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:29 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Whistling tea kettle are still readily available here - but most people nowadays just buy electric models with a cut-out switch for when it reached boiling point.