"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 06-28-2005, 12:18 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Do you own a electric kettle/hot water dispenser?

Hello everyone, I have owned a Zojirushi hot water dispenser for years and just got another a couple of days back. I love the thing and was thinking of carrying them at my store as well. I just am wondering how many people own a electric kettle or something similar?

Old 06-28-2005, 12:34 AM   #2
Master Chef

A hot water dispenser for "almost boiling water on tap" would be nice ... but not on my "top 10" list of things I need for my dream kitchen. Actually, since I live in an apartment with a tiny kitchen - #1 on my list would be a bigger kitchen.

I know that electric tea kettles have been very propuar in the UK/Europe for years (assuming you can trust the countertop appliances in the background on 30-40 year old BBC comedy shows) ... and I wouldn't mind having one ... but again ... my kitchen is too tiny to have the counter space for one.

Considering that the hot water tap is going to require energy to keep the water hot all the time, even when I'm not using it, and the electric kettle only uses energy when I need it ... I can stand waiting a couple of minutes for the energy savings.

Old 06-28-2005, 01:12 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I have a hot water dispenser.
We keep it plugged in during the winter and unplug it in the warmer months.
LOVE IT! I could live with out it but... I sure don't want to.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:17 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Like 99.999999 per cent of British households, we have an electric kettle. I've had electric kettles all my adult life - and my mum had them too when I was growing up, so they've been around for a long while here! The idea of 'nearly' boiling water (as Michael describes) wouldn't be good enough for real British style teas.. water has to be freshly boiled!
Old 06-28-2005, 08:18 AM   #5
Everymom

I have had a few minor disasters involving kettles. So now I have one with an auto shut off and I LOVE IT! I didn't realize that they made dispensers for HOT water. I've only seen the ones for cold water. I don't know whether I would use one or not, as I use my kettle for everything. Sounds like a cool idea though.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:30 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Like you, I realised the value of the auto-off on a kettle many years ago... Saved me from many a steam-filled kitchen with a kettle with a burnt-out element!
Old 06-28-2005, 10:28 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

i have a cheapo plastic one on my desk at work for making tea, and water for instant soups. it is off limits to anything but water. my old one was destroyed by someone heating some oily sauces or soups in it that discolored the plastic and left a funky taste. so i got them back by putting a few drops of laxative and letting it dry...
Old 06-28-2005, 10:49 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Heheheeeeee - is your middle name Machiavelli?
Old 06-28-2005, 10:56 AM   #9
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I have an electric tea kettle, and I really like it. Mine is a cheapy model that I won for taking a survey, but it works great. When it wears out, I will definitely look into getting one with auto shutoff.

Barbara
Old 06-28-2005, 11:28 AM   #10
Head Chef

I have one, it's the kind that you find at the Asian store, I don't know if it's the kettle style like everyone else has...