"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-01-2014, 11:18 AM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
We have a cast iron griddle and an electric stove top.
Since the griddle takes up two burners and the two you need are not the same size (front is bigger than back) the griddle is very uneven as far as temp distribution goes.
It works, but its not right.

This is just one of the reasons I wish I had a real stove. A commercial gas range.
I have a gas range with two high utput burners in front and two different lower output burners in the back. When I used a griddle, I had to fiddle with the burners to try to get the the outputs the same. I got tired of trying so don't use one anymore.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #12
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have a gas range with two high utput burners in front and two different lower output burners in the back. When I used a griddle, I had to fiddle with the burners to try to get the the outputs the same. I got tired of trying so don't use one anymore.
If I did not have so many gadgets, I might consider an electric griddle.
We still use ours now that i have figured out how to do it.
But the heat is not even and a PIA.
__________________

__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:59 PM   #13
Head Chef
 
RPCookin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Logan County, Colorado
Posts: 2,044
I have been researching gas ranges as we are going to be adding one to the house we just moved into. There are a lot of differences between them, even seemingly very similar ranges. Looking at two 5 burner gas ranges - both have the longer center burner for a reversible grill/griddle.

The Kenmore got terrible reviews saying that the middle burner never got the griddle hot enough for pancakes, much less for searing a steak on the grill side. The nearly identical looking GE got rave reviews for the center burner. If you looked at them side by side, you'd think that it was just a coin toss, or maybe just pick the least expensive one, but after reading up on them, I don't see any contest. Also the GE comes with the grill/griddle, while the Kenmore requires that you buy that extra.

It pays to do some research before you buy.
__________________
Rick
RPCookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:18 PM   #14
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
I have been researching gas ranges as we are going to be adding one to the house we just moved into. There are a lot of differences between them, even seemingly very similar ranges. Looking at two 5 burner gas ranges - both have the longer center burner for a reversible grill/griddle.

The Kenmore got terrible reviews saying that the middle burner never got the griddle hot enough for pancakes, much less for searing a steak on the grill side. The nearly identical looking GE got rave reviews for the center burner. If you looked at them side by side, you'd think that it was just a coin toss, or maybe just pick the least expensive one, but after reading up on them, I don't see any contest. Also the GE comes with the grill/griddle, while the Kenmore requires that you buy that extra.

It pays to do some research before you buy.
Where are you getting the reviews?
GE is sometimes rebranded Kenmore.

I want something along the commercial/proffessional style. Wolf comes to mind. Like the ones we see on TV. Remember the range on the TV show "Full House" I think it was called? I loved that range.
One day i will have one. I hope I am not to old to really use it though!
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:21 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
If I did not have so many gadgets, I might consider an electric griddle.
We still use ours now that i have figured out how to do it.
But the heat is not even and a PIA.
For my birthday this last May, Glenn gave me a Cuisinart Griddler, which is a multi-purpose appliance. That is, it can cook waffles, pancakes, sandwiches, panini, sausages, bacon, grill meats, etc.

It has allowed us to eliminate at least 3 small appliances and has yet to be put into the cabinet because it gets used ALL THE TIME!! We were amazed at how versatile/useful it is.

It opens flat, like a book, to cook pancakes and such. In fact it has more surface area than our big (we thought) Presto electric griddle. It's super.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 04:18 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,301
Welcome to DC. If you want an electric griddle that heats to 500, you need to look at lefse griddles. I have one of these with a non-stick coating, as does my mom, my aunt, my cousins. We use them to make lefse because you need the griddle that hot.

lefse grill, lefse griddle, bethany lefse grill, bethany lefse griddle
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:39 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
If I did not have so many gadgets, I might consider an electric griddle.
We still use ours now that i have figured out how to do it.
But the heat is not even and a PIA.

I ended up getting a Cuisinart Griddler (same as Katie H). We use it for pancakes, panini, burgers, chicken...
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #18
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,297
My range also has different outputs for every burner, and I've used the grill pan that came with it, but not very often. It's cast iron and SO dang heavy that it's hard to get it out of the storage drawer in the range, let alone clean it.

I'll have to check out those Cuisinart griddlers. I usually just grill meats outside on the weber, but for multiple pancakes, French toast, etc. when family is here, it sounds like that would be nice.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,093
Does a griddle separate from the stove get as hot (500F) as one built-in?

I have an electric Presto Liddle Griddle, got it super cheap from an Amazon promo. It's perfect for 2 to 4 people, and I store it atop my toaster oven. It can cook to 400F plus.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
My range also has different outputs for every burner, and I've used the grill pan that came with it, but not very often. It's cast iron and SO dang heavy that it's hard to get it out of the storage drawer in the range, let alone clean it.

I'll have to check out those Cuisinart griddlers. I usually just grill meats outside on the weber, but for multiple pancakes, French toast, etc. when family is here, it sounds like that would be nice.
Yes, Cheryl, it is ultra-handy for making lots of pancakes and bunches of French toast.

I've been easily able to cook 8 nice-sized pancakes and as many slices of French toast on the Griddler.

It's also awesome for cooking bacon, using the ridged grill plates and a closed lid. No bacon splatters. No babysitting the bacon. Perfect bacon every time.
__________________

__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
stove

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.