Does a griddle separate from the stove get as hot (500F) as one built-in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

curiousaboutagriddle

Assistant Cook
Hi I can't thank you enough for your time and energy and love spent with this :)

Does a non-built-in griddle you place on burner, like this,
24769_285.jpg

can it get as hot (500 degrees F) as a built-in one, like the picture i attached below?

I am moving and am worried my pancakes won't come out as great on a stand-alone griddle that I place on a burner.

Which is where I come to my 2nd, science-lesson-type question: if you left this stand-alone griddle on the burner forever, does the temperature just keep rising and rising or is there a point it stops (for example it can only get up to 300 degrees F)?

Thank you greatly for your time! It means alot!

Attachments

• Photo on 2014-10-01 at 01.48.jpg
    Photo on 2014-10-01 at 01.48.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
As an alternative, you could get yourself an electric griddle to be sure of the temperature.

hey! you are right! i will look into getting one of those then! thank you so much!

We are here to help. But in the meantime, welcome to DC and stick around. This is a great place with answers to anything you may need to know. Lots of fun, lots of laughs, lots of information. Some useful, some not. :angel:

it looks like it doesn't it? :)

how cool that someone would take the time to answer :)

thank you for the introduction i will make a point to look around :)

Very rarely will a question be unanswered. Even if to just say, "We don't know." But I have never seen that happen here. :angel:

How hot the griddle gets depends on the power of the burners you put it on. It could easily reach 500ºF.

On a home range I would expect no issue with its getting hot enough to cook pancakes. I don't think you need 500ºF for pancakes. 350ºF is normal for pancakes.

How hot the griddle gets depends on the power of the burners you put it on. It could easily reach 500ºF.

On a home range I would expect no issue with its getting hot enough to cook pancakes. I don't think you need 500ºF for pancakes. 350ºF is normal for pancakes.

That's another advantage of an electric griddle. It lists the temperature to set for several items, including pancakes.

Years ago, I had a Sunbeam electric griddle. Perfect pancakes every time.

We have a cast iron griddle and an electric stove top.
Since the griddle takes up two burners and the two you need are not the same size (front is bigger than back) the griddle is very uneven as far as temp distribution goes.
It works, but its not right.

This is just one of the reasons I wish I had a real stove. A commercial gas range.

We have a cast iron griddle and an electric stove top.
Since the griddle takes up two burners and the two you need are not the same size (front is bigger than back) the griddle is very uneven as far as temp distribution goes.
It works, but its not right.

This is just one of the reasons I wish I had a real stove. A commercial gas range.

I have a gas range with two high utput burners in front and two different lower output burners in the back. When I used a griddle, I had to fiddle with the burners to try to get the the outputs the same. I got tired of trying so don't use one anymore.

I have a gas range with two high utput burners in front and two different lower output burners in the back. When I used a griddle, I had to fiddle with the burners to try to get the the outputs the same. I got tired of trying so don't use one anymore.

If I did not have so many gadgets, I might consider an electric griddle.
We still use ours now that i have figured out how to do it.
But the heat is not even and a PIA.

I have been researching gas ranges as we are going to be adding one to the house we just moved into. There are a lot of differences between them, even seemingly very similar ranges. Looking at two 5 burner gas ranges - both have the longer center burner for a reversible grill/griddle.

The Kenmore got terrible reviews saying that the middle burner never got the griddle hot enough for pancakes, much less for searing a steak on the grill side. The nearly identical looking GE got rave reviews for the center burner. If you looked at them side by side, you'd think that it was just a coin toss, or maybe just pick the least expensive one, but after reading up on them, I don't see any contest. Also the GE comes with the grill/griddle, while the Kenmore requires that you buy that extra.

It pays to do some research before you buy.

I have been researching gas ranges as we are going to be adding one to the house we just moved into. There are a lot of differences between them, even seemingly very similar ranges. Looking at two 5 burner gas ranges - both have the longer center burner for a reversible grill/griddle.

The Kenmore got terrible reviews saying that the middle burner never got the griddle hot enough for pancakes, much less for searing a steak on the grill side. The nearly identical looking GE got rave reviews for the center burner. If you looked at them side by side, you'd think that it was just a coin toss, or maybe just pick the least expensive one, but after reading up on them, I don't see any contest. Also the GE comes with the grill/griddle, while the Kenmore requires that you buy that extra.

It pays to do some research before you buy.

Where are you getting the reviews?
GE is sometimes rebranded Kenmore.

I want something along the commercial/proffessional style. Wolf comes to mind. Like the ones we see on TV. Remember the range on the TV show "Full House" I think it was called? I loved that range.
One day i will have one. I hope I am not to old to really use it though! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

For my birthday this last May, Glenn gave me a Cuisinart Griddler, which is a multi-purpose appliance. That is, it can cook waffles, pancakes, sandwiches, panini, sausages, bacon, grill meats, etc.

It has allowed us to eliminate at least 3 small appliances and has yet to be put into the cabinet because it gets used ALL THE TIME!! We were amazed at how versatile/useful it is.

It opens flat, like a book, to cook pancakes and such. In fact it has more surface area than our big (we thought) Presto electric griddle. It's super.

I ended up getting a Cuisinart Griddler (same as Katie H). We use it for pancakes, panini, burgers, chicken...

My range also has different outputs for every burner, and I've used the grill pan that came with it, but not very often. It's cast iron and SO dang heavy that it's hard to get it out of the storage drawer in the range, let alone clean it. :ermm:

I'll have to check out those Cuisinart griddlers. I usually just grill meats outside on the weber, but for multiple pancakes, French toast, etc. when family is here, it sounds like that would be nice.

I have an electric Presto Liddle Griddle, got it super cheap from an Amazon promo. It's perfect for 2 to 4 people, and I store it atop my toaster oven. It can cook to 400°F plus.

Last edited:
My range also has different outputs for every burner, and I've used the grill pan that came with it, but not very often. It's cast iron and SO dang heavy that it's hard to get it out of the storage drawer in the range, let alone clean it. :ermm:

I'll have to check out those Cuisinart griddlers. I usually just grill meats outside on the weber, but for multiple pancakes, French toast, etc. when family is here, it sounds like that would be nice.

Yes, Cheryl, it is ultra-handy for making lots of pancakes and bunches of French toast.

I've been easily able to cook 8 nice-sized pancakes and as many slices of French toast on the Griddler.

It's also awesome for cooking bacon, using the ridged grill plates and a closed lid. No bacon splatters. No babysitting the bacon. Perfect bacon every time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom