"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 04-30-2008, 11:02 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Hi, Leolady...I've seen that name, and that gorgeous mixer, somewhere else. I also have vintage kitchen...everything. All from thrift stores. Two sets of Revere Limited edition, one copper-clad and the other tri-ply...stainless with copper sandwiched in between. Hobart A9 coffee mill, Revere drip-o-lator, Vita-Mix 3900+ and my newest acquisition, a gently used Hobart N50 from the thrift store (yes, $7.00). They really don't make 'em like they used to.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:44 PM   #12
Head Chef

$7!

You must be kidding! You stole that mixer! Do you like it?

Do you like your Vita Mix 3600?

Old 05-01-2008, 01:05 PM   #13
Executive Chef

I have an old Oster blender with some faux woodgrain trim and an ice crusher like the one pictured. Both work perfect, except the lid on the blender is, um....you need a towel when operating. I did see on Ebay they have replacements though.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:11 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Stole??? $7.00 plus tax...I did give her $8.00 and told her to keep the change. Bowls from eBay, but the beaters were Hobart priced. I think Valiant might have had them for a skosh less. A friend gave me a grain mill, and I picked up a food grinder for it. The older, metal one. I have a boudin recipe. I think I got away for about $260 total. Still not too bad. The machine itself is like new, but a generation or so back. And the 3600 is nice. Probably better than the new ones. No pthalates or Bisphenol A. Definitely better looking, especially if you dig retro. Kinda Flash Gordony. Get the kit to plug off the petcock on the cannister. Else things will grow there. I will be baking this weekend, and am going to compare critically against my ancient but bulletproof K45. It's already points up in the size, weight and price categories.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:18 PM   #15
Head Chef

I still think you got a criminally great deal! I am so jealous.

I bet you will love to bake with this beauty. Keep your old K45 around to do light tasks, but let your muscle man do the hard jobs.

I thought you would like the retro styling and power of your VM 3600. I have an almost identical Vita Mix 4000.

Long live the VINTAGE!
Old 05-06-2008, 09:52 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

regarding vintage appliances:
I stumbled upon
automaticwasher.org
collectors of vintage wasing machines.
I remember summer of '76 and completely remodeling my moms kitchen while she was away on vacation. with a Fridgidaire Touch 'N Cook smoothtop range, the backsplash was all electronic touchpads, no knobs anywhere! and a Fridgidaire Refreshment Center Refrigerator, ice, water, and two bevs of your choice in the door. Inside the door where two compartments that held liquid concentrate, like OJ or Zarex that mixed with water and came out of the door.
Friend of mines mother still has her Fridgidaire Crown Imperial Range, circa 1965, same as samantha had in bewitched, the burners pull out like a drawer and the oven is overhead.
Dan
Old 05-06-2008, 10:10 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by spryte View Post
I MUST have a vintage cookie press! The new ones just don't work as well.

Mine is like that one.
I have to keep an eye out online to pick up one for each of my kids too!

I had one like this, but I never got the chance to use it and lost it!

Great pics, BTW!!

Yeah, these things can be obtained, but be prepare to fork over big bucks for them.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #18
Head Chef

I have my mother's cookie press.

She didn't use it much, and I don't either.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:02 AM   #19
Assistant Cook

I have an electric Sunbeam bistro cooker. Not sure of age, it is a combination deep fryer, with a crock pot insert for slow cooking as well as a steamer for rice or vegies, as well as just an electric saucepan.

Very versatlie and works great ...
Old 05-26-2008, 06:30 AM   #20
Head Chef

Uncle Bob,
My mother had a chambers range, also. Wish I had it today. I can't see if yours has a well in it. We used to cook things like New England Boiled dinner or Chicken Frickasee (sp?) in it.I loved that stove. Unfortunately, my sister bought my mom's house and didn't like the stove, so she had it broken down and got rid of it. If I had known , I would gladly have taken it.