"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 08-29-2006, 09:57 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Actually, the shocking truth is, Lulu, Cristiano, a true Roman to his bones, has one "sin", he doesn't like authentic Italian style coffee (Espresso).

He likes the aroma, but find it too bitter to drink. I introduced him to those diluted coffee that is commonly drunk among the parts of the world we came from, doctored it with bucketful of sugar, milk and cocoa powder, now he is very fond of that concoction!!

Anyway we keep the mokka (stove top coffee maker) for our guests, also when we make some desserts like tiramisu, so it is being used fairly regularly anyway

Old 08-29-2006, 10:01 AM   #12
Head Chef

NO! Not possible, I cannot believe it! An Italian who doesn't like espresso? For a start, how does he face venturing out on to those Roman roads, huh? LOL (wink wink!)

Old 08-29-2006, 10:12 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
NO! Not possible, I cannot believe it! An Italian who doesn't like espresso? For a start, how does he face venturing out on to those Roman roads, huh? LOL (wink wink!)

Tell you the truth he is one daredevil when he is out on the road... he really thinks himself to be a Michael Schumacher out there... Luckily he does have good skill to support his antics though, it gets a bit worrysome at times... He does drink at least half litre of either that afore mentioned concoction or strong tea every morning though... He also loves earl grey!!
Old 08-29-2006, 10:59 AM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
I second the opinion of Lulu wholeheartedly. It is quite simple to use and clean, I don't find it any more trouble than a fancy machine.

I bought one of these things and it's amazing!

and it was only 20 dollars!

What a waste of money dropping three hundred on some dumb machine.

i like manly espresso, not that latte frappucino crap, so this works perfect for me?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:08 AM   #15
Head Chef

Glad you like it, Mylegsbig.

And should you have non espresso loving guests, like that weird non -real coffee drinking Roman guy (lol Urmaniac!) it IS versaltile. We make "latte"incorrectly I am sure, but nicely, simply by adding the same quantity of heated milk as espresso to a warmed cup, and if you have guests who want a cappucino, skimmed milk holds froth the best, just whip it in a milk pan, it takes seconds.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:41 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Glad you like it, Mylegsbig.

And should you have non espresso loving guests, like that weird non -real coffee drinking Roman guy (lol Urmaniac!) it IS versaltile. We make "latte"incorrectly I am sure, but nicely, simply by adding the same quantity of heated milk as espresso to a warmed cup, and if you have guests who want a cappucino, skimmed milk holds froth the best, just whip it in a milk pan, it takes seconds.

my honey badgers eats guests. but thanks for the reccomendation!
Old 08-29-2006, 11:49 AM   #17
Head Chef

Er, honey badger, as in Mellivora capensis? You have pet Mellivorinae???
Old 08-29-2006, 11:52 AM   #18
Head Chef

MLB - I have a saeco vienna superautomatic espresso machine. It's a good starter machine. I bought mine for about 350 (that includes shipping), it was a refurbished one. I've never had a problem with it. Esspresso/coffe has nice crema. Took a few tries to get a setting I enjoy. Now use on a daily basis.

Did a lot of research when trying to find one that fit my needs. The link below is to the machine I have. Check out the rest of the website and look at the consumer reviews. Those are usually pretty good.

http://www.wholelattelove.com/Saeco/vienna.cfm

Couple other good sites:
http://www.espressoguy.com/buying_guides/coffee_beans
http://www.espressotec.com/icguide.asp
Old 08-29-2006, 12:28 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Er, honey badger, as in Mellivora capensis? You have pet Mellivorinae???
i dont know about that, but he's a friendly little mustilidae.

his name is Fluffy.

Old 08-29-2006, 12:29 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by htc
MLB - I have a saeco vienna superautomatic espresso machine. It's a good starter machine. I bought mine for about 350 (that includes shipping), it was a refurbished one. I've never had a problem with it. Esspresso/coffe has nice crema. Took a few tries to get a setting I enjoy. Now use on a daily basis.

Did a lot of research when trying to find one that fit my needs. The link below is to the machine I have. Check out the rest of the website and look at the consumer reviews. Those are usually pretty good.

http://www.wholelattelove.com/Saeco/vienna.cfm

Couple other good sites:
http://www.espressoguy.com/buying_guides/coffee_beans
http://www.espressotec.com/icguide.asp
hey mate, thanks for the reco, but i bought that 20 dollar aluminum oldschool device,the one apparently every italian has in their kitchen