First Knife for Professional Purposes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those are really good knifes. I hear "leatherface" endorses them, as they have the best balance for killing scantly clad teenagers in the woods. :)

All my knives have plastic handles. I guess I have been wrong in thinking they should never go into the dishwasher?
I wash mine with hot soapy water, dry and return them to their block when I am finished with them.
All my knives are J.A. Henckels.

I have Henckels too. I always hand wash, hone and put away.

Sure. At home I do that, too. The workplace is a bit different and things are done totally for the purpose of convenience and saving time. The knife service shows up weekly with newly sharpened knives. The plastic handled knives are designed for this, I would suspect. Nobody gives a toss about taking care of them. They don't abuse them, per say, but they don't go out of their way to take extra care of them.

Those are really good knifes. I hear "leatherface" endorses them, as they have the best balance for killing scantly clad teenagers in the woods. :)

Hatchets all the way for this guy....

Amazing? Jeff Smith name was not mentioned, yet we all know exactly who he is.
I actually bought Henckel because of the "Frugal Gourmet" many years ago.
It was the second cooking show I watched following "Galloping Gourmet"
The "Food Network" was not even comprehended at this time.

I learned many cooking techniques from him. I am pretty sure I owe much of my culinary interest and investment to him.

Last edited:

You have totally lost me. What in the world are you talking about? Who is leatherface? And what does he have to do with the subject of this thread? :angel:

I have a son who is a proffesional chef. He carries his own knives to and from work. I am a home chef. I carry my one very good knife with me whenever I suspect I will be cooking. Most of the people I know have atrocious knives, and no sharpening tools. I end up honing their knife edges on the backs of other knives. Sometimes it works.

My son didn't used to take his knives home. He kept them at work, set in a private area, and told everyone to kip their mits off. He had three knives ruing by people ignoring the "mits off!" rule. He never leaves his knives at work anymore.

I do have a caution about personal knives. There are inferior knives out there that appear to be high quality, and even feel good in the hand. They are made of poor quality steel and will warp, or not hold their edge. make sure that the brand you purchase is reputable. It wouldn't hurt to try a knife on for size, then go home and look up critiques of it.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

A number of years ago I bought my daughter a KA mixer for Christmas. I should have bought her a good set of knives. She got very sick right at that time and never got to open her presents. Her husband put them all in the garage and they found them three years later. She never uses it. But she is always complaining about not having good knives. She does have an electric knife (mine) that they use all the time. Easier than going out and buying a couple of good ones. I swear from what I have seen in her drawer, all her knives are from a thrift shop or yard sale. :angel:

I have a son who is a proffesional chef. He carries his own knives to and from work.

My son didn't used to take his knives home. He kept them at work, set in a private area, and told everyone to kip their mits off. He had three knives ruing by people ignoring the "mits off!" rule. He never leaves his knives at work anymore.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

It is quite common for cooks/chefs to hide knives, even the rented ones after their shift so nobody else can use it. I remember one kitchen I worked in, there weren't enough knives available because a few people squirreled them away as soon as the freshly sharpened batch came in. Some people had no knives to work with..They were all ordered to put them back so everybody could use them.:LOL:

Last edited:
You have totally lost me. What in the world are you talking about? Who is leatherface? And what does he have to do with the subject of this thread? :angel:

I think he is talking about Jeff Smith the "Frugal Gourmet"?

He evidently was accused or prosecuted for molesting his assistant or something in that regard.
Do you remember the show? He had a young kid as his assistant and I think it was this kid?

I really was disappointed in what I heard about him as he had much influence on me as far as cooking goes.
The connection is Henckel knives. Jeff Smith used and promoted them on the show.

I have three Shun knives that are my favorites. In fact, in what has become a first of the year tradition, they are out being sharpened today.

I'm not a professional chef, but I like the way they feel. And they slice things so effortlessly. I swear there are times the onion just looks at that knife and falls apart. :LOL:

I also have my dad's old Chicago Cutlery knives from the 1940s when he went to school to be a butcher. Some of them have been sharpened so many times there isn't much left of the blade. One in particular used to be a chef's knife, but I use it as a boning knife because that's what it looks like these days. They're sturdy and still hold an edge. CC used to be a quality brand but have gone downhill in the last couple of decades.

I think he is talking about Jeff Smith the "Frugal Gourmet"?

He evidently was accused or prosecuted for molesting his assistant or something in that regard.
Do you remember the show? He had a young kid as his assistant and I think it was this kid?

I really was disappointed in what I heard about him as he had much influence on me as far as cooking goes.
The connection is Henckel knives. Jeff Smith used and promoted them on the show.

Yes I do remember him. The scandal was a lot bigger than the public heard. He was doing work with young boys that were getting into trouble. He would get them out of trouble and into their pants. He ran a kitchen for the homeless and had the boys working there as part of their probation. His wife divorced him and both of them died shortly after. His helper's name was Craig. He wrote his own cookbook. He was not one of the kids. He was too old. He like the boys that were in middle school. Craig was an adult grown man. Thank you.

Addie, Leatherface was one of the killers in the horror flick, Texas Chainsaw Massacres. He was a butcher who wore masks made of human skin and was supposedly inspired by serial killer Ed Gein. Nothing to do with Jeff Smith.

Last edited:
Stupid me thinking this thread was gaining momentum talking about the OP's question :angel:

Stupid me thinking this thread was gaining momentum talking about the OP's question :angel:

You too? We certainly got off the subject here.

So folks, what about those knives for professional chefs? Have we reached a consensus? Silly question, I know. I am not a pro chef, but I am happy with my different band knives. They all fit my small hand and take a good sharpening with my little hand held sharpener recommended by ATK. And that is all I ask. My son has my 12" Shun. Too big for my hand and too dangerous for me to wield. :angel:

I also have my dad's old Chicago Cutlery knives from the 1940s when he went to school to be a butcher. Some of them have been sharpened so many times there isn't much left of the blade. One in particular used to be a chef's knife, but I use it as a boning knife because that's what it looks like these days. They're sturdy and still hold an edge. CC used to be a quality brand but have gone downhill in the last couple of decades.

Steve I had a knife like that. I got it as a gift from the old Spiegel's Catalog. It was a set of knives that had wooden handles with two rivets. The chef's knife when I first got them allowed my hand to clear the counter. But the time I decided it had served it time well, the wooden handle had split but was held with those two rivets. And anytime I went to chop, I was banging my knuckles on the counter. The blade had worn down to where it was no longer feasible to even try to sharpen it. But I loved that knife to its death. :angel:

I just ordered two gyutos a couple days ago to replace the ones "I learned on". They've been dropped a couple times and suffered a chip or three :doh: Plus I did not like sharpening the large one I have. It has a double bevel on it and takes a while.
I ordered one of these and the next size up. Good knife for a decent price.

I just ordered two gyutos a couple days ago to replace the ones "I learned on". They've been dropped a couple times and suffered a chip or three :doh: Plus I did not like sharpening the large one I have. It has a double bevel on it and takes a while.
I ordered one of these and the next size up. Good knife for a decent price.

Pac, What do you use to sharpen your knives?

A Dremel... :ermm:
Just kidding.

I have a Norton three sided sharpening block something like this one, but mine is med, fine and really fine ;)

I watched a video and this one would not work for me, it takes some skill to use! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I thought it was interesting that the fella in the video used transmission fluid for his sharpening oil.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom