"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 12-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Cook

First Knife for Professional Purposes

Hello everyone, I am looking to buy a quality chefs knife for working professionally in a kitchen.

I really have no knowledge on knives, and have been trying to read a lot, but there are so many different opinions. It's a bit overwhelming.

Any advice on knives to buy, kits to buy, sharpening tools, would all be very helpful.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2123 View Post
Hello everyone, I am looking to buy a quality chefs knife for working professionally in a kitchen.

I really have no knowledge on knives, and have been trying to read a lot, but there are so many different opinions. It's a bit overwhelming.

Any advice on knives to buy, kits to buy, sharpening tools, would all be very helpful.
This question is the cook's equivalent to inquiring among boaters who makes the best anchor. Friendships have ended over the answers.

You will find many different responses as everyone likes different things. For me, I found a set that I really like, but also purchased a few specific knives that simply felt right in my hand. Those special knives are my go-to knives.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
Master Chef

I hope you're buying this knife for yourself and not someone else.

One of the first things to be considered is how the knife feels in your hand so that lets out internet shopping, or shopping for someone else. Kathleen is right about a multitude of opinions on the best professional knife. The bottom line is if the grip and balance of the knife in your hand isn't just right, the most expensive knife on the market will be worthless to you.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Knives are personal. You have to go and get the feel of the knife. The ones that are comfortable in your hand are the ones you should be getting. Any answers you get on line are moot. It is a matter of the 'feel' of the knife.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:26 AM   #5
Cook

Kayelle and Addie are right on! Go to a store where they let you handle the knife, and hopefully cut with it. Good cookware stores will do this, they will also have nice selections of both Asian and Western knives.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:40 PM   #6
Executive Chef

If you are going to use it professionally, shouldn't the employer be buying this knife for you?
Or is the employer allowing you to pick your knife?

I am just curious as to the nature of the "working professionally"?

I will say you are off to a good start as you are looking to buy one (1) knife, not a set.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:16 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
If you are going to use it professionally, shouldn't the employer be buying this knife for you?
Or is the employer allowing you to pick your knife?

I am just curious as to the nature of the "working professionally"?

I will say you are off to a good start as you are looking to buy one (1) knife, not a set.
I'm not a professional chef, but from what I've seen on the tube, professional chefs provide their own "tools of the trade" when it comes to cutlery. In my occupation, I'm required to provide the basic tools needed.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I'm not a professional chef, but from what I've seen on the tube, professional chefs provide their own "tools of the trade" when it comes to cutlery. In my occupation, I'm required to provide the basic tools needed.
I also was required to buy my own basic tools. It makes sense. I was an electrician for 40 years.

But in a kitchen, how do they keep your knife and other basic tools separated from the other chefs tools?
I was able to take my basic (tool pouch) hand tools home after work. Unless I was in a factory then I was able to lock up my toolbox or a strongbox/gangbox was provided and it was locked up before we left.
I am just curious as to the arrangement in a "professional" kitchen.

Would seem everyone having there own stuff might be a problem?

Hence my question.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Well the folks in the kitchen with missing digits picked up the wrong tools. Otherwise its an unspoken rule. Basically, keep yourself and your hands out of my station.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Wink Another notch in the handle of the six shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Well the folks in the kitchen with missing digits picked up the wrong tools. Otherwise its an unspoken rule. Basically, keep yourself and your hands out of my station.
My first husband one day told me about a new chef that came aboard in the kitchen on the ship where he worked. One of the older chefs showed him his knives. In the handle of each of his knives he had a gash or two and explained to the new chef that those represented the fingers of folks who tried to use his knives. It wasn't true, but it sure kept other cooks in the kitchen from even thinking about reaching for his knives.

Tags
knife