"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Old 12-04-2008, 12:45 AM   #11
Senior Cook
She was using the pot for food.

While you were at it did you do a HAACP check to make sure her kitchen was properly sterile and that she hadn't put any bacterielly contaminated food into the pot in the months she had it?

jpaulg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:26 AM   #12
Master Chef
Leolady... I think I would have been a bit put-off by it as well. I mean really... If I borrowed someones cook ware, I would not be using it for anything other than what it was intended. Show respect for OPP!

Bucky... behave!!!!

sattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:50 AM   #13
Executive Chef
Kitchenelf asked if this was a good friend...? I think if they treated my property as such that I was nice enough to loan them I would be asking my self the same thing....
Has this friend ever showed other signs of selfishness or thoughtlessness in the past? Usually you are able to see a trend.....if it is not typical of this friend then I would chaulk it up as a moment of insanity and forgive and forget. Maybe you guys will get a good laugh about this when time passes and you see your pot is still in good working condition.....but ONLY if this was a fluke situation!
"Many people have eaten my cooking & gone on to lead Normal lives."

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:59 AM   #14
Executive Chef
my guess is that your friend had not one clue as to the quality and value of the pot that she was using for baby chick diggs. That would also explain why she did not understand your most appropriate shock when you realized how she had used your pot.
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:45 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
I was going to say BT beat me to the punch, but he would have beat me by several months... I missed this post the first time around and am glad it was resurrected. I know I would be put off if someone was using something I loaned in a manner not really intended. That said. Other than the taboo thought of it, I doubt the pot suffered any lasting effect.
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
... I'm so in love with baby animals... that I just would have thought about how cute the chick was. I would have given her the pan and bought another one for myself or...since I hardly ever used it gone with out.
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:52 PM   #17
Head Chef
What would have bothered me was the "You can't tell me what I should be
doing with the item I BORROWED from YOU."

Well, it is mine, so yes I can.

As for using it for a chickery, wouldn't have bothered me. Metal is metal and it
wouldn't have hurt it. A good boil and it would be clean and ready to cook the chicks'
older siblings!
GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #18
Executive Chef
Oh I didn't realize this post was old....So what ever happened with your friend Leolady??
"Many people have eaten my cooking & gone on to lead Normal lives."

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:18 PM   #19
Sous Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
I really don't see what the big deal is. The pot is steel and easily cleaned. Where's the harm? My stock pot doubles as a barf bucket during flu season. Dogs lick food plates with no harm done. And if not you, many people, including your friend, handle chicks and maybe don't even rush to the faucet the moment that chick hits the ground.
vyapti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
yeah, as soon as the chick hits the ground, it'll be across the street, anyway.

plenty of time to wash up.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote