For cooking or for raising baby chicks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I give people cookware all the time, but not anything I would ever want returned. I gave my newly separated BIL a bunch of stuff including two really nice sauce pans. He can raise earthworms in them for all I care...

I guess I was just amazed at her audacity. After all, I hadn't given the pots to her, they were a loan.

But then, I always feel that you should respect other's property. Putting a chick in a stockpot didn't feel like respect to me.

But different strokes for different folks.

Leolady, I know entirely how you feel.

I have invested money into my kitchen equipment. Now, I won't say that it's A LOT of money, but, money is money. I have some professional-grade equipment, and a lot of tools, "gadgets", etc. I tend to get finicky about how my stuff is used. Many times, I've come home and realized that my MIL has been "mishandling" and "misusing" my tools, or just using them in a manner I don't think is appropriate. I'll usually give her a warning or two about how I feel, but she does as she pleases. After a few "infractions" on my feelings about my equipment, I will go and hide the piece for awhile.

I realize that this is mostly just my "regimented training" in the culinary world, and that my MIL was brought up extremely poor and had to "make do" with EVERYTHING. I still just don't like to see my tools used in a manner that I don't want them used.

Neither one of us are willing to compromise on these issues, so it just boils down to a simmering stale-mate of me waiting until she decides that she wants to live somewhere else.

I realize that this is mostly just my "regimented training" in the culinary world, and that my MIL was brought up extremely poor and had to "make do" with EVERYTHING. I still just don't like to see my tools used in a manner that I don't want them used.

Someone who had to make do should respect your nice equipment even more than you do. Given that you have told her your feelings, this is simply passive-aggressive behavior on your MIL's part. Probably because she is not used to being the implied subordinate in the house.

Someone who had to make do should respect your nice equipment even more than you do. Given that you have told her your feelings, this is simply passive-aggressive behavior on your MIL's part. Probably because she is not used to being the implied subordinate in the house.

That'll be one nickel :LOL:

Attachments

• Lucy%20the%20psychiatrist.gif
    Lucy%20the%20psychiatrist.gif
    33.7 KB · Views: 221
You definately have the right to tell her not to put live animals in your pots. You shouldn't have had to give her directions so specific that they specify whether what she puts in the pots is live or dead. :D

UPDATE:

Joyce has apologized for getting mad because I didn't like the stockpot hatchery thing. She said she should have used her own pot for her chicks and didn't know what got into her for yelling at me like that.

I still had the pots in the car, so I loaned them back to her and she promised to take good care of them.

Joyce owns the farm where my sweet arabian mare Ashen boards. They don't have much money and I try to help them wherever I can.

I think that anyone who would borrow another person's cookware to use as a toilet for an animal is an arrogant, thoughtless, moron. You were not out of line, she was -- big time!

And as for the "what's the big deal comments" above, I suspect that about 90% of the population would never use the pot again, even though it can easily be sterilized. The picture of a chicken-poop encrusted pot is hard to get out of one's brain.

That said, I suggest that you boil some water and vinegar in it and then give it a good scrubbing with some Barkeeper's Friend.

YUCK!

The guy who said a chicken in every pot--well, I don't think that's what he had in mind! :ohmy:. You should have told her the pot was for dead chickens--not live ones! I think you were right, and your friend should respect how you want your property used.

Back
Top Bottom