"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 12-29-2007, 09:06 PM   #31
Executive Chef

What about the throw away aluminum pans?I bet they are cheaper and they dont melt on you.Its just marketing by the time people buy and try the plastics the company will have mades millions just like all the stupid gadgets we buy that dont work and rebates on other products, the companies know most of us wont usually follow thru for the rebate or your money back.Most Americans are the most gullible wasteful spenders in the world and buy more crap we dont need just to throw it away.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:25 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
You bring up a good point, jp. I usually go to my local dollar store and buy the 3-packs of different sized foil pans. I use and reuse them as needed. Been doing this for too many years to count. I didn't even know that the Glad products existed until I read this thread.

If I'm going to cook/reheat the foods I put in these pans, I usually line them with parchment paper or waxed paper and can "lift" out the food after it's frozen so I can cook or reheat in my microwave.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:13 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Quote:
Originally Posted by aburas View Post
Why do they even make Glad Ovenware...Why wouldn't someone just use a regular baking pan?
I bought it because it was a time saver... at the time. When I only had one kid and had extra time I made lasagne and manicotti for the heck of it and froze it. I could freeze and bake in the same dish.

I apologize for being lazy.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:21 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
No apology needed! As a mom of a younger one (and older one too), anything that makes dinnertime easier is always a good idea!
Old 12-30-2007, 07:27 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
I bought it because it was a time saver... at the time. When I only had one kid and had extra time I made lasagne and manicotti for the heck of it and froze it. I could freeze and bake in the same dish.

I apologize for being lazy.
Not being lazy at all. Just making the best use of your time. I can understand; I raised 8 children. Time was definitely precious.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:55 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
LOL I guess I was sounding a bit snotty... sorry.

I suppose my thought process was, "well duh why would you ask such a question?"
If I wasn't making / freezing ahead of time, yes, a real pan. But I wasn't about to lose a pan to the freezer indefinately.

Nowadays I don't quite have time to think about what day it is, let alone make / freeze dinner ahead of time, just because I feel like it. I have a couple years to go before I can do that again!
Old 12-31-2007, 03:33 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Thanks for the tip. From the number of people that have posted similar experiences it would seem like a good idea to pull this product from the shelves, but as long as people remain uninformed they will take advantage of us.

This is one of the reasons I stick with foods and ustensils that are made from things that were available 100 years ago. That way, there should be no surprises!

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:26 AM   #38
Assistant Cook

Smile Works great for me!

Maybe you just have a really hot oven.
I have been cooking with Glad Ovenware for about a year now and have had no problems with it.
I absolutly love them!
I have even reused some of them!
Old 09-20-2008, 11:40 PM   #39
Assistant Cook

I have used the Glad Ovenware several times and think it's terrific. We are empty nesters so I'm having to learn to cook for two. I use the ovenware to put up some of my favorite casseroles. Aluminum pans don't work so well in the microwave, they are very flimsy especially when transporting heavy casseroles. Doubling up seldom solves the problem. I thought the Glad Ovenware was a godsend! I guess now I'll have to order it by the case from Amazon. *sigh*

At least now I know why this product has be come so hard to find. Yes, you do need to use a cookie sheet when using this product ... AND ... you should be aware of whether or not your oven temps are accurate.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:47 PM   #40
Sous Chef

I have had no problems either. I have only used ovenware when I make a casserole that will freeze nicely . . . I freeze half in Glad Ovenware and bake the rest in a casserole type of dish. I also use the Glad Ovenware to make meals for friends in times of need. Never have heard anything but praises