GLAD Ovenware is Oven Scare!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just a small thought....I am trying to reduce my carbon foot-print - When I make enough for a small army (the curse of the mom without a teenager) I freeze future meals in an appropriate container - covered - then put them in Seal a Meal (or some such) bags and then seal, lable and pop them in the freezer. When it's time to eat them I just slit one side of the bag, put them back into the original freezing container and use either the microwave or the oven, whichever is appropriate. I turn the bags inside out and wash them on the top rack of my dishwasher and re-use tham again and again.

If I were taking a meal to a pot luck I would definately use a foil container and thus not have to burden my hosts with returning a clean dish - it would be their choice to reuse the container but they wouldn't need to return it!

I've never used the product you describe - and I think worries about microwaves are overblown - but my mantra is metal in the oven and plastic or glass in the miccrowave. Of course now there is silicone! :ermm:

Ummmm . . . Gladware, as well as foil pans, can be washed, reused and recycled. If you calibrate your oven you will be fine, it will not melt, Gladware is food grade. I hate the taste of anything cooked in foil pans. It makes me grit my teeth.

I'm going to weigh in here - this thread was started in 2002. Hopefully they have changed the way these are made by this point and they are a bit safer to use. PytnPlace - thanks, my teeth hurt now :LOL: Just the thought makes my teeth hurt! :ermm:

Gladware and ovenscare

I was actually shopping for the smaller size of glad ovenware when I saw this website and posts regarding this cookware. I must say that I have had nothing but positive experience with glad ovenware. I keep to the instructions and preheat my oven, never go over 400, and always keep a cookie sheet underneath. Most of the time I do not use them to cook raw food but rather to reheat leftovers, which takes much less time than cooking from scratch. These are especially handy at Thanksgiving when I am doing tons of cooking and want to send food home with guests. I never worry about getting my dishes back.

As to the negative experience, I would say that those who advise you to call the company and talk with them again regarding recompense are right. Be on top of it, but be polite. In this way you may be that person who lights the fire under them to improve the product. Normally, I find that telling the company the truth about how much I love their other products and how much I would hate to change my product choices gets them to offer something to offset my loss. My daughter once found a dead fly in her cereal and we still buy that company's product.

Hope it turns out better for you, but in the mean time remember that not all products off the assembly line are 100 percent and there are always manufacturer defects. You were not one of the fortunate ones, but your family is very fortunate to have someone who thinks on their toes and plans a meal for them even in the wake of disaster.

Love this stuff!!!!

I for one absolutely love this stuff, they had a few differents brands on the market a few years back and I have been nursing one for a LONG time! They do wear with use, especially how much I used them. You have to put a cookie sheet underneath and make sure you let it cool before you handle it after it comes out. I am sooo excited to find they have brought them back, I'm surprised to hear bad of them. I hope they didn't change the way they make them. I hope one bad review doesn't spoil this AMAZING container for anyone else.

Did You really follow the directions?

I have used Glad Cookware over and over again and haven't had a problem. As long as you don't go past 400 degrees, put your cookware on a cookie sheet, don't use broil and don't put the lid in the oven (which my mom did to one of my pans and ruined that dinner)... does it really melt even with these precautions?

can't even buy it anymore...

I haven't seen them in stores recently, which was sad, so I did a search online for them. You can in fact buy them. Drugstore.com sells them at the cheapest price I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom