"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 08-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I started using oven safe glass for all meat dishes about 35 years ago. I noticed that dirt accumulated in the creases of loaf pans. I had to use a pointy steak knife or poultry skewer to get it out. Ewww. So I switched to glass. But, it means I can't put the glass roasting pans on the burner (as it says to do in many recipes) to deglaze the pan. I have to rely on the leftover heat in the pan.

Nowadays there are lots of pans that don't have creases in the corner, so maybe I'll try stainless steel. I have one large, SS, lasagna pan, but the sides are so high that it doesn't work well for roasting meat. That sort of put me off SS for roasting meat.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

i often use a large ovenproof skillet for roasting. Of course that depends on the size of the roast and the pans available.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
i often use a large ovenproof skillet for roasting. Of course that depends on the size of the roast and the pans available.
I'll have to remember that. I have enamelled cast iron pots that would work.

Does anyone know if a wooden handle would be safe in the oven? Would I risk charring it?
Old 08-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'll have to remember that. I have enamelled cast iron pots that would work.

Does anyone know if a wooden handle would be safe in the oven? Would I risk charring it?

I use a 12" CI skillet for small roasts and whole chickens.

Wood handles are usually safe at 350 F but may darken in color (not charring).
Old 08-22-2012, 02:56 PM   #35
Sous Chef

I don't understand the desire to use glassware for actual cooking anyway, minus things like a double boiler, where the insulative properties of glass can be beneficial. Ceramic seems to have the advantage, especially when covering cast iron.

Also, the link in the OP seems to be broken.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:07 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I use a 12" CI skillet for small roasts and whole chickens.

Wood handles are usually safe at 350 F but may darken in color (not charring).
Thanks. I really will have to remember to do that.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
I don't understand the desire to use glassware for actual cooking anyway, minus things like a double boiler, where the insulative properties of glass can be beneficial. Ceramic seems to have the advantage, especially when covering cast iron.

Also, the link in the OP seems to be broken.
Glass pie plates yield the best pie crusts.

SO's brownies in a glass baking dish area always done to a "T". Certainly not the only way but a really good one.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I saw the CU report on glass bakeware breaking in explosive ways today and wondered if anyone has had this happen and whether you use glass bake ware?

It was interesting to learn about the difference between glass used in the US and the glass used in the EU. Here's a link to the story: Consumer Reports: Hot Glassware Can Shatter Unexpectedly
I've used glass bakeware for years, & never had a problem. I use them in the oven & microwave, & put them in the dishwasher. I pulled one out, & the brand name looks like Anchor. According to their site, there's a two year warranty, if used correctly. I have:

2 square
2 large rectangular
1 round casserole (1 1/2 or 2 qt) w/ lid
souffle dish (1 1/2 or 2 qt) w/ lid
Martha Stewart ramekins
Quiche dish/pan
Old 08-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #39
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by no mayonnaise View Post
It's the only truly nonstick, durable bakeware available.

Personally I HATE cast-iron. Glass bakeware isn't lightweight, but cast iron is even heavier. Also, the enameled stuff can crack and craze in high-heat use due to the differing expansion rates of the enamel and the cast iron.

I've been happily baking in Pyrex for 50 years. Nothing's come on the market yet that beats it. I can't tell you how many metal pans I've ended up throwing away because the eventually become uncleanable - as opposed to my big Pyrex baking pans, which clean up in a snap with about 1/10th the effort. I have Pyrex that's as old as I am. You'll get my Pyrex Flameware double-boiler when you pull it from my cold, dead hands! LOL!

I've never bothered to de-glaze a pan for a roast in my life, so I don't miss that.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

People's differing preferences on things like this crack me up

Over the last several years, I've been replacing the Pyrex dishes I collected in my 20s with Le Creuset ceramic and enameled cast iron. I love how the heavy pieces hold on to heat for serving, and they're beautiful as well. I can brown on the stovetop, braise or otherwise finish cooking in the oven, put the pan back on the stovetop and make a yummy sauce or gravy with the fond and drippings and serve.

In the '90s, our neighborhood was overrun with Pampered Chef parties and during that time, I collected several pieces of their stoneware. I love them, too. They're quite durable and non-stick when used correctly.

Never "bothered to de-glaze a pan"? You don't know what you're missing. That's a lot of great flavor going down the drain.