Glass Cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love my Pyrex and have never had problems. My sister had one explode though. It was not pretty, and it was a mess. I don't think she did anything wrong that she knows about.

CU was not able to repeat these reports of exploding Pyrex, and they tried. The ONLY way that can happen with actual Pyrex is if it's been subjected to thermal shock over a period of time, or if it's taken direct from the freezer or fridge to the oven.

There are all sorts of claims made on the Internet. That doesn't make them true. For instance, there are people who think there is no such thing as continental drift. They think the Earth is expanding like a balloon. Riiiight.

Similarly there has never been any evidence for the mythical belief that people's Pyrex is exploding willy-nilly. Such evidence has been sought repeatedly. Pyrex has been subjected to all sorts of tests trying to make it happen. The exploding Pyrex has never been recreated, except by subjecting it to long term abuse which creates the micro fractures I described earlier. Such fractures eventually will give under the repeated stress. It may LOOK like the Pyrex exploded, but the truth is that it was abused and damaged, accumulating this damage until it finally does give in what looks like (but has not been) normal use.

That said, it's possible you are the one person in a million who got a piece of Pyrex that was faulty. (Was it Pyrex, or was it something else? That's another problem with these anecdotal reports - a lot of them aren't actually Pyrex, they're some Chinese made cheap off-brand that wasn't properly annealed during manufacture).

The fact is that exploding Pyrex (in the absence of abuse) is a myth. There has never been any evidence to the contrary.

You may not like it, but it's a fact. It's physics, not magic. As an engineer, I'm very very familiar with user error, which is quickly followed by blaming the product.

Over 1200 people on that site are wrong and you are right. I'll leave it at that. I know what happened to me and my friend and lots of other people.

All I know is that old pyrex would break (with a "pop" sound), new pyrex seems to explode into hundreds of tiny pieces (with a loud "bang"),

Last edited:
The lid from my huge Visions pot (I think Visions is Pyrex) exploded many Thanksgivings ago, with a loud bang. Glass shards everywhere, what a mess. And I never used it to cook, only to cover and store stuffing.

Last edited:
The lid from my huge Visions pot (I think Visions is Pyrex) exploded many Thanksgivings ago, with a loud bang. Glass shards everywhere, what a mess. And I never used it to cook, only to cover and store stuffing.

The Vision line didn't stay out very long for that very reason. It was pulled off the line and they stopped making and selling them.

Back
Top Bottom