Glass Cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pyrex are great in my opinion...they are very durable and tough....we have never had one break and I have even had one drop on a tiled floor :)

We have 4 pyrex jugs and 4 pyrex bowls, wouldnt be without them ;)

Oven safe glass is safe for, well, OVEN use. I've been baking in Pyrex for 50 years, not a single broken dish ever.

The broken Pyrex in the Consumer's Reports tests were broken by NOT following the correct procedures for use, and took several attempts to get them to break at that. I have never come across an incident of broken Pyrex that didn't involve user error.

For instance, if you pull the hot dish out of the oven and set it on the cold stovetop, which many people do routinely, it is unlikely to break the first, second, third, etc. time that you do that. However, each time you do this, it creates stress fractures which cannot be seen with the naked eye.

Then, eventually, it will "explode" in the oven when those stress fractures have reached the point of no return and get heated up one time too many. Meanwhile the cook who's been abusing the cookware for months or years stands there and says, "But I didn't do a thing to it!".

Yes they did. Cumulative damaged caused over time by misuse.

Oven safe glass is safe for, well, OVEN use. I've been baking in Pyrex for 50 years, not a single broken dish ever.

The broken Pyrex in the Consumer's Reports tests were broken by NOT following the correct procedures for use, and took several attempts to get them to break at that. I have never come across an incident of broken Pyrex that didn't involve user error.

For instance, if you pull the hot dish out of the oven and set it on the cold stovetop, which many people do routinely, it is unlikely to break the first, second, third, etc. time that you do that. However, each time you do this, it creates stress fractures which cannot be seen with the naked eye.

Then, eventually, it will "explode" in the oven when those stress fractures have reached the point of no return and get heated up one time too many. Meanwhile the cook who's been abusing the cookware for months or years stands there and says, "But I didn't do a thing to it!".

Yes they did. Cumulative damaged caused over time by misuse.

Winner!

Pyrex used to be synonymous with glass that could withstand the pressures created as direct flame was applied to the cold glass. You could put it on the stovetop over a gas flame and boil liquid, or fry an egg. Most scientific glass ware, test tubes, beakers, pipettes, etc. were Pyrex brand. The glass was more expensive to make. It was called boro-sicllicate glass. Regular baking and casserole dishes were made with tempered glass, which can be heated in an oven, but can't take the direct heat of a flame.

Sadly, Pyrex no longer uses boro-sillicate glass for their consumer cookware. They too use tempered glass. I had a Pyrex chafing dish that came with a couple of tea candles to keep the food warm. I didn't want to have to keep replacing the tea candles, and didn't think they'd keep the food hot enough. So replaced them with Sterno fuel cans, which are made to keep chafing dishes warm. I walked away from the chafing dish to do other things necessary to present the meal. I heard a loud, shattering sound, and turned to find that my chafing dish had broken, catastrophically.

The problem with glass (and ceramics) is that it just isn't flexible. If put over temperatures that are very different than the ambient temperature of the glass, the outside surface begins to expand, as to all materials. But glass is an insulator, and so the heat migration through the material is slow. The outer surface expands much more rapidly that does the rest of the glass. This creates enough molecular pressure that in short order, the glass shatters. Boro-silicate was able to withstand the temperature extremes, without shattering, which is why it was so popular. Tempered glass is resistant to breakage from mechanical shock, but not so much from thermal shock.

No, I don't stand by Pyrex brand anymore, as it is only good for oven use, and requires significant care. I now use stainless steel, cast iron, or aluminum cookware. I have a Corning casserole dish, but it's rarely used.

You can use it safely, but I prefer other materials that I know won't fail.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

There is way, way, way, WAY more to it than that.

It's not about borosilicate glass versus soda lime glass. It's more about annealing and other manufacturing processes.

Even back when they were using borosilicate glass for their bakeware, Pyrex ovenware was NOT stove-top safe. You had to get the Flameware for that.

The lab glassware you're talking about is yet another kettle of fish. It doesn't even enter into this particular conversation.

There are advantages to soda-lime glass over the borosilicate. Soda-lime is generally a little more forgiving of mechanical shocks, such as being whanged into the corner of the counter, dropped, or having something dropped on it in the sink.

Borosilicate glass is a little more forgiving of thermal shock.

However, when properly handled, thermal shock isn't an issue (or shouldn't be - when used correctly). So the advantage of the soda-lime glass is that it gives the user some extra protection from those daily incidents we don't have a lot of control over, such as accidentally whacking your pan into something.

Doesn't matter whether it's soda-lime or borosilicate, neither glass is appropriate used stove-top or over an open flame, unless it's been put through the specific manufacturing and annealing processes that gives you Flameware. That's an expensive process, and I see no reason to use it for my everyday bakeware.

I'm really glad to have it for my Pyrex double-boiler, however.

I have had it happen several times. Completly ruins dinner and glass and food go everywhere.Cleaning up after it is a mess. I only use Pyrex now and don't keep them when they get too scratched. I have had the cheap stuff do it out of the micro and oven. I have never used glass on the cooktop.

I started using oven safe glass for all meat dishes about 35 years ago. I noticed that dirt accumulated in the creases of loaf pans. I had to use a pointy steak knife or poultry skewer to get it out. Ewww. So I switched to glass. But, it means I can't put the glass roasting pans on the burner (as it says to do in many recipes) to deglaze the pan. I have to rely on the leftover heat in the pan.

Nowadays there are lots of pans that don't have creases in the corner, so maybe I'll try stainless steel. I have one large, SS, lasagna pan, but the sides are so high that it doesn't work well for roasting meat. That sort of put me off SS for roasting meat.

i often use a large ovenproof skillet for roasting. Of course that depends on the size of the roast and the pans available.

i often use a large ovenproof skillet for roasting. Of course that depends on the size of the roast and the pans available.
I'll have to remember that. I have enamelled cast iron pots that would work.

Does anyone know if a wooden handle would be safe in the oven? Would I risk charring it?

I'll have to remember that. I have enamelled cast iron pots that would work.

Does anyone know if a wooden handle would be safe in the oven? Would I risk charring it?

I use a 12" CI skillet for small roasts and whole chickens.

Wood handles are usually safe at 350º F but may darken in color (not charring).

I don't understand the desire to use glassware for actual cooking anyway, minus things like a double boiler, where the insulative properties of glass can be beneficial. Ceramic seems to have the advantage, especially when covering cast iron.

Also, the link in the OP seems to be broken.

Last edited:
I don't understand the desire to use glassware for actual cooking anyway, minus things like a double boiler, where the insulative properties of glass can be beneficial. Ceramic seems to have the advantage, especially when covering cast iron.

Also, the link in the OP seems to be broken.

Glass pie plates yield the best pie crusts.

SO's brownies in a glass baking dish area always done to a "T". Certainly not the only way but a really good one.

I saw the CU report on glass bakeware breaking in explosive ways today and wondered if anyone has had this happen and whether you use glass bake ware?

It was interesting to learn about the difference between glass used in the US and the glass used in the EU. Here's a link to the story: Consumer Reports: Hot Glassware Can Shatter Unexpectedly

I've used glass bakeware for years, & never had a problem. I use them in the oven & microwave, & put them in the dishwasher. I pulled one out, & the brand name looks like Anchor. According to their site, there's a two year warranty, if used correctly. I have:

2 square
2 large rectangular
1 round casserole (1 1/2 or 2 qt) w/ lid
souffle dish (1 1/2 or 2 qt) w/ lid
Martha Stewart ramekins
Quiche dish/pan

Last edited:

It's the only truly nonstick, durable bakeware available.

Personally I HATE cast-iron. Glass bakeware isn't lightweight, but cast iron is even heavier. Also, the enameled stuff can crack and craze in high-heat use due to the differing expansion rates of the enamel and the cast iron.

I've been happily baking in Pyrex for 50 years. Nothing's come on the market yet that beats it. I can't tell you how many metal pans I've ended up throwing away because the eventually become uncleanable - as opposed to my big Pyrex baking pans, which clean up in a snap with about 1/10th the effort. I have Pyrex that's as old as I am. You'll get my Pyrex Flameware double-boiler when you pull it from my cold, dead hands! LOL!

I've never bothered to de-glaze a pan for a roast in my life, so I don't miss that.

People's differing preferences on things like this crack me up :LOL:

Over the last several years, I've been replacing the Pyrex dishes I collected in my 20s with Le Creuset ceramic and enameled cast iron. I love how the heavy pieces hold on to heat for serving, and they're beautiful as well. I can brown on the stovetop, braise or otherwise finish cooking in the oven, put the pan back on the stovetop and make a yummy sauce or gravy with the fond and drippings and serve.

In the '90s, our neighborhood was overrun with Pampered Chef parties and during that time, I collected several pieces of their stoneware. I love them, too. They're quite durable and non-stick when used correctly.

Never "bothered to de-glaze a pan"? You don't know what you're missing. That's a lot of great flavor going down the drain.

Back
Top Bottom