Glass Cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
I saw the CU report on glass bakeware breaking in explosive ways today and wondered if anyone has had this happen and whether you use glass bake ware?

It was interesting to learn about the difference between glass used in the US and the glass used in the EU. Here's a link to the story: Consumer Reports: Hot Glassware Can Shatter Unexpectedly

Yes. I have friends whose Pyrex blew up.

I use it. But I check it to make sure that it's not cracked.

Do not go from cold fridge to hot oven or use it on the stovetop

never had it happen. I don't use much glass bakeware, except pie plates, and I was always told to put them on the middle rack of the oven rather than the bottom. I do use some glazed ceramic bakeware which cooks exceptionally well. Never had any issues there either.

I have had it blow up on me, scared the crap out of me! I also had a friend recently that this happened to.

It doesn't seem to need sharp temperature changes anymore to explode, it just goes randomly.

I have gotten rid of most of my glass bakeware and am slowly replacing it with ceramic and glazed stoneware. I really liked my glass pie plates, but the stoneware ones that have replaced them are fantastic.

Yep I still use it, although most of mine is over 10 years old, at least.

Now you're scaring me. I never thought about it since I grew up with Pyrex and never had a problem or even heard of one. I use a glass casserole and planned on buying a glass pie pan because when I make something with a crust, like Hamburger Onion Pie, I always check to make sure the bottom is browned to my liking. If not, I add another 5 or 10 minutes.

Last time I made it I had to add more time as I am pretty lazy about preheating the oven. If I turned it on before assembling my dish, fine. If not, I just put it in the oven anyway and add time if needed at the end.

It's not just laziness, but because of my constant back pain, I want to sit down as soon as possible.

As long as you are careful and follow the directions for using the glass bakeware you should be fine. The article list the Do's and Don's

As long as you are careful and follow the directions for using the glass bakeware you should be fine. The article list the Do's and Don's

Mine and my friends burst while in the oven, after cooking for a while. I have always been very careful with glass bakeware and know how to use it.

Just seems that there is an issue with the soda lime glass. Seems that even with extreme caution they can shatter unexpectedly.

I cooked for years with my mom's old Pyrex without a problem. I really liked glass bakeware.

The only glass bakeware that I have and use is either Pyrex or Anchor Hocking. I've never had a problem with either one. You should never add a cold liquid to a hot pan ... my sister did that once and it shattered ... oh, what a mess!

Yes, the article lists the companies' ever-expanding list of do's and don'ts, but if you read the article, people have reported problems not associated with breaching the warnings.

I'm just wondering why some Pyrex explode. For me, there's no problem at all, I'm using it for 5 years already and never encounter any problem. :)

shopping for a cheesecake pan. found one with a glass bottom. has anyone ever used one? it is a bit pricey. sure would look good to serve though. comments please.

I see no point in spending extra for a glass bottomed springform pan.

andy, i understand that it is not necessary. wanted to know if it worked well. i am in the market for a pan. the bottom to my old one got left at a pot luck, never to be seen again. the spring on it was getting hinkey anyway.

andy, i understand that it is not necessary. wanted to know if it worked well. i am in the market for a pan. the bottom to my old one got left at a pot luck, never to be seen again. the spring on it was getting hinkey anyway.

I understand, babe. I have no experience with a glass bottomed pan. Did you have issues with yours that make you think the glass one would be better?

I have two springforms and have had no issues with either.

I've never had a problem, but the stuff I use is older than many people here. I can't even begin to guess how many times I've used it.
I once had a piece of expensive Pampered Chef stoneware crack in the not pre heated oven, holding a company casserole. Pampered Chef wouldn't replace it, so that was the end of them for me.

I understand, babe. I have no experience with a glass bottomed pan. Did you have issues with yours that make you think the glass one would be better?

I have two springforms and have had no issues with either.

i have had trouble getting the crust to slice. the last one i made i sprayed the pan and that worked. no real issues, just thought since i need one, i would go for a prettier presentation. :)

I'm just wondering why some Pyrex explode. For me, there's no problem at all, I'm using it for 5 years already and never encounter any problem. :)
A Pyrex usually explodes when it is very hot and you place it on a cold surface, or when you take it out of the oven and the room temperature is very cold. It could also explode when it is very hot on the stove and you pour cold water in it.
So to prevent it's explosion it should not be in contact with any cold thing immediately after getting it out of the oven. :chef:

OMG now I'm scared to put my most loved baking tray in the oven, because it is glass!
I've never have it cracked or explode on me, but this is scary, cause it seems like it actually does happen quiet often judging by the response in this thread!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom