Good Biscuit tins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pontypool

Assistant Cook
I remember when I was young, all biscuit tins has shakers in the lid, which did in my opinion, keep the contents fresher and crisper than modern, shaker-less tins.

Firstly is there a reason for this? Possibly the shaker being a health hazard?

Secondly. I bought a traditional brabantia tin with a shaker 5 years ago, but this is now unavailable on amazon.
Where can I get one now? Assuming the answer to question 1 is that they're completely safe.

Biscuits in the US are completely different than in the UK (guessing at your location). What you call biscuits, we call cookies. The only time we (wife and I) use "tins" are for homemade cookies given as gifts at xmas time.

I can't imagine what the purpose of this "shaker" is in the tin? Here, it would let moisture into the tin, letting the cookies, or whatever else stored in them, get stale.

Maybe it looks like a shaker, but is filled with silica gel? That would be a good idea.
I always save those silica gel packs from all sorts of things, for putting in things to absorb moisture.

Of course not? That makes no sense. The shaker absorbs moisture

Are you saying that the purpose of the shaker is to let moisture in?

When you write "biscuit", are you talking about what is called a cookie on the left side of the pond? Are you talking about something similar to what's called a scone on the right side of the pond?

I googled the phrase "brabantia biscuit tin with shaker" and found lots of images that are probably right. It's hard to be sure since the OP is posting in English but most of us speak/read American. [emoji38]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brabantia-Biscuit-Barrel-Steel-Black/dp/B0002EXZ10

If you look closely at the top, you can see a bump in the middle. Moisture absorbing crystals are inside so they can absorb moisture within the tin.

Last edited:
So the "shaker" must be a reference to the container in the lid, holding those crystals. It would definitely serve a useful purpose.

I googled the phrase "brabantia biscuit tin with shaker" and found lots of images that are probably right. It's hard to be sure since the OP is posting in English but most of us speak/read American. [emoji38]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Brabantia-Biscuit-Barrel-Steel-Black/dp/B0002EXZ10

If you look closely at the top, you can see a bump in the middle. Moisture absorbing crystals are inside so they can absorb moisture within the tin.

You realise Americans speak English and there's no such thing as an "American" language right?

Are you saying that the purpose of the shaker is to let moisture in?

When you write "biscuit", are you talking about what is called a cookie on the left side of the pond? Are you talking about something similar to what's called a scone on the right side of the pond?

It doesn't "let" moisture in. But any moisture in the air is trapped in the shaker. Keeping the contents dry.

You realise Americans speak English and there's no such thing as an "American" language right?

So, when you write "biscuit", you mean this sort of thing, which is not sweet? It's often eaten with supper.

Easy-homemade-biscuit-recipe-1-of-1-5.jpg

What kind of autocorrect are you using pontypool? If it's on an iPhone, I don't know. If it's the spell checker in Firefox, you'll have to download a UK English spelling dictionary and tell the spell checker to use that. I usually use a Canadian English spelling dictionary. The spelling dictionaries are part of FF add-ons, in a section called "dictionaries". I think it is something similar in Chrome.

I'm using Android Chrome. With swype/swift.

It is supposed to learn from me too, it's remembered local Welsh towns I use and curse words, but refuses to use z instead of s in all instances of it.

Usually when I type. Either I hit space it autocorrects. But if I avoid space and instead tap one of the predictions above the keyboard (one of them is always verbatim) it is supposed to add the verbatim one to the dictionary, but with z it refuses.maybe because more often than not I hit space. Who knows.

Back
Top Bottom