"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 01-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
My in laws have a granite cutting board. When they re-did their kitchen there was some leftover granite. The builder cut it into a cutting board size and shape for them. I don't dare tell them not to use it though, but it wouldn't matter anyway since their knives are about as sharp as a banana.

My first thought was, "Oh, no. Don't ruin your knives." It would be great to put hot pots on.

GB, I love your description of your parents' knives. They could belong to most of my friends. I can't imagine working in the kitchen without a good sharp knife.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:45 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
I bought a piece of marble long ago in my first apartment (shoebox, whatever) for rolling out pie crust like my Dad did..... it was too small.
I use it now for cooling fudge "base" quickly before adding chocolate as not to scorch it.... or a trivet..... or another thing taking up room in my cabinet.......
Sharp as a banana! LOL!!!!!

Old 01-14-2009, 07:26 PM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorie View Post
I've had a ceramic one for years and I'm ready for a new one - could that be why my knives get dull so quickly? What types of cutting boards does everyone recommend?
Wood cutting boards are OK for Veggies and the like. Some think that the oil from meat can get into the grain and make a food safety issue.

Poly boards are pretty good and can go in the dishwasher.

I have one of each. If you have wood clean it with soap and water and then treat it with Food Grade Mineral Oil.

AC
Old 01-14-2009, 11:47 PM   #14
Executive Chef

About that only thing I can think of to use the nice pieces of granite for are trivets, a base for still-life photography (I know there are some shutterbugs on this forum), or a platter for a cheese display (we use granite tiles for foo-foo looking cheese displays as work).
Old 01-15-2009, 04:25 AM   #15
Master Chef

I have wood cutting boards and a nice granite (or at least granite looking LOL) pastry board. Leave it to me to have taken years to figure out what it was and how to use it, a baker I am not! I actually thought for a long time it was supposed to be a cutting board and ruined several knifes on it before figuring it out. Don't you just hate learning things the hard way??
I think that small you could just use it as suggested to put hot stuff on. I actually have a small 6"x6" glass one that is good for that.. no idea where it came from. I keep wondering if one day it will shatter if I put something too hot on it but so far so good LOL.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:57 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Does anyone know if there is a way to round them down a bit? I'm hoping there is a sander attachment or dremel tool thing that will soften the sharp corners.
DIY stone polishing is something you can do if you're handy with power tools. It requires a 4" grinder, a semi-rigid backer pad, and a set of diamond polishing discs. The polishing discs are available online, and start around $63 for a 8-disc set, which takes the finish from a 50 grit up to 3000 grit, and includes a polishing disc as well. This is not really cost effective for the homeowner unless you're going to get into this as a hobby. Try a local tile or granite supplier to see if they would do this for you for a fee.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:48 AM   #17
Senior Cook

When I did my remodel, I had them make and 18” by 18” cutting board for me. I use it all the time. I do have to sharpen my knives pretty often, but I did that before I had the granite. They polished it for me. I like the fact that it can stay out, and not really be seen. I added some of those clear rubber squares to the bottom so that it does not move. I only use it for quick veggie cuts. For cooked meats, I have a couple of wooden boards, and for raw meats I have some poly boards that I can stick in the dishwasher. I would probable be cheaper for you to take the board to a local company that sells stone and have them do it. I would not take them long to polish out the sides and sort of round out the corners.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:07 AM   #18
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Oops! Forgot the polishing part - Take it to a local marble / Granite store and they can polish it for you, likely for less than buying tools and doing it yorurself.

AC
Old 01-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
Wood cutting boards are OK for Veggies and the like. Some think that the oil from meat can get into the grain and make a food safety issue.

Poly boards are pretty good and can go in the dishwasher.

I have one of each. If you have wood clean it with soap and water and then treat it with Food Grade Mineral Oil.

AC

Thanks Adillo!
Old 01-15-2009, 02:43 PM   #20
Head Chef

Some of the stuff printed about wood cutting boards being not as safe as poly has been disputed over the years.

Now some are saying they are just as safe.

The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
http://leoladysw.blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote