"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 01-15-2009, 02:47 PM   #21
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
It's about 12" square so I can't really see it being used as a pastry board.
At that size, I would guess it was intended to be a cheese board.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:58 PM   #22
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russellkhan View Post
At that size, I would guess it was intended to be a cheese board.
It would make a great cheese board! I use a thick wood cutting board for cheeses but would be pleased with something that could help maintain an even temperature when the kitchen gets hot whilst cooking.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:10 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
It's about 12" square so I can't really see it being used as a pastry board. My SIL really doesn't know her way around a kitchen but pretends she does. Since granite is all the rage in countertops, I'm sure she thought it was a highend gift! Neither my sister or I really know what to do with the chunk of stone. Sis was thinking of using it as a stepping stone in her yard but the polished surface would be pretty slick in wet weather. Her daughter had gotten cut several times on the corners.
How thick is it?

If it's an inch thick or so you can use it has a hot rock for cooking on.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:27 PM   #24
Head Chef

Sounds like it might be a good place to put a pot of hot food while it cools, but I sure wouldn't dull my knives on it.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:38 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
The problem is, the top surface is polished but the sides have rough edges and sharp corners. Does anyone know if there is a way to round them down a bit? I'm hoping there is a sander attachment or dremel tool thing that will soften the sharp corners. I don't want to spend the money to take it to a stone person for polishing. TIA
You can use a grinder on it, very lightly though.

The 18x18 granite tile I used for my island had a slight 45deg bevel on the edges. I had to make some cuts, so to mimmick that bevel I used a 4 1/2" angle grinder.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:54 PM   #26
Sous Chef

Could just get a sanding block and aluminum oxide paper.

Shouldn't take long to hand work it down to where it won't be a danger. It is just granite, not like you would be trying to take an edge off of zircon.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I say leave those beautiful edges as is. Use it as a fruit/cheese board (I can't believe they ALL stole my idea!) or for other cold-type appetizers. IMHO it's a beautiful serving piece! Absolutely do not use it as a cutting board.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:35 PM   #28
Cook

Granite edges can be as sharp as a knife and I would smooth them down. I doesn't take much to take off the sharp edge and it won't change the look of the granite. I have done it on granite and I used a Dremmel. I used a disk sander to do the same to marble. Any sanding tool or abrasive material will work.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:19 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

I've got one I use for cheese, rolling out fresh pasta, etc. I also cut a "top" for it outof one of those thin roll-up plastic cutting boards. I hate those because they are so floppy, but as a cutting surface topper over the granite it works great. I store it under the stone, the stone looks beautiful where the poly is not.

John
Old 08-30-2010, 02:10 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Thumbs up Discussion of granite top cutting boards

I just read a lot of comments on those who received granite (and I would include Marble here too) cutting boards. First let me say since this is my first time to do this, that I appreciate those comments that generally discussed not using the granite cutting boards as with there best knives. I cook for my wife and I and I enjoy it, but I have never heard of this concern before about dulling the knife blade. I thank those for the red flag here and not a minute to soon to, because I sell granite counter tops and Kitchen cabinets and many people ask me about cutting directly on the granite. Hopefully you are all right about this and I will now give them a good answer. It will also help me, because I am planning to sell granite cutting tables (as I like to call them) to people and I will now post a warning on them not to use there good knifes on them. My boards are for cutting cheese and other soft objects or for just displaying food on a buffet table since the design underneath will add to the overall appearance. Let me say one last thing. I am not promoting my boards on this forum unless this website would like me to. This comment was a thank you to all on the discussion. Thank you.