"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 08-30-2010, 02:26 PM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

When I had new countertops installed, I had the cutout for the sink made into a lazy susan rather than a cutting board.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

Just to add a comment Here: I recently visited a local winery in my area of Orange County California and thought the design of these cutting boards made of marble were very artistic and would add a very "Vineyard" touch to any table. They can be used for a lot of things, not just a cutting surface. I read the comment about someone not liking the rough edges. As you can see here, it adds greatly to the overall design of the cutting table, but I can understand how this could be a hazard and cause problems. I thank that person for the comment too.
I hope the attachments come to all with no problems.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:50 PM   #33
Assistant Cook

Great Idea, although I have yet to make an apple pie, I've heard that granite works great rolling out dough.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:53 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

Great Idea!
Old 08-30-2010, 02:56 PM   #35
Flour Child

I like to wash my cutting boards in the sink rather than just wipe them off. Granite is too heavy for that...speaking for myself that is.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

I agree with you on the heavy part and I would also not use a Marble, Stone or Granite cutting board as a normal kitchen utinsal (so to speak).
I prefer, as you ,to use lighter materials and I wash mine too in the sink because I want them very clean after each use. thanks
Old 10-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

Dulling knives on Granite

Hello, I have had granite cutting boards before and I just recently got a nice large piece that I am currently sealing to use as a trivet/cheese board/cutting board.
I have used granite cutting boards for a long time and never had any problems with my knives getting ruined. How often do you all have to sharpen your knives?
What about using stone ruins a knife? Anyway I was just curious if I should stop using them. Thanks for the help.

-Tim-
Old 10-25-2011, 04:41 PM   #38
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmack View Post
Great Idea, although I have yet to make an apple pie, I've heard that granite works great rolling out dough.
The trick with granite and marble pastry boards is to chill them before using. Too big for your fridge/freezer, no problem. Zip-loc bag full of ice and water on the slab for a bit. The chilled stone keeps the shortening in your pastry cold and hard, so you get flakier pastry than with warm, finely pilled shortening.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:10 PM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timsforgiven View Post
What about using stone ruins a knife? Anyway I was just curious if I should stop using them. Thanks for the help.

-Tim-

It's simple physics.

Pushing a knife blade into a rock-hard surface which is harder than the knife blade itself will dull it very quickly and can damage it. This will not happen with a soft surface. Never use a granite, marble, glass or ceramic surface for cutting.

Most stone boards are either meant to be used or better used as pastry boards and not cutting boards.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timsforgiven View Post
Hello, I have had granite cutting boards before and I just recently got a nice large piece that I am currently sealing to use as a trivet/cheese board/cutting board.
I have used granite cutting boards for a long time and never had any problems with my knives getting ruined. How often do you all have to sharpen your knives?

-Tim-
Think about it - Do they use wood for knife sharpeners? No, they use stone (either artificial or natural). They use stone because it's harder than steel. So why would you use it for a cutting board, where you are just ramming the sharp edge onto a flat stone? Wood (or most plastics) will give when the knife contacts it. When the knife contacts stone, it's the knife which gives way, rapidly dulling the edge.

I'm always a bit surprised when I see this question asked because to me it seems like simple common sense. If you want your knives to stay sharp and live a long, full life, you never cut on a material which is harder than the knife itself. However, I've been unable to teach this principle to my wife in the 20 years we've been married, so sometimes I just have to scratch my head in wonder.