"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 04-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #11
Head Chef

Well.. if you would like to go a bit radical...
Install double wall ovens by refrigerator. Install an permanent island in the middle with the stove top, counters on 3 sides that can also act as serving space for light fare..
Move the Refrigerator to where the stove is now, that gives you room to build in a nice pantry in that offset where the refrigerator is now. There should also be room for shelves near the ovens for the toaster oven/coffee pot what ever.

That will tighten up the kitchen making cooking very efficient. Everything is fairly close. It would also tend to keep people out of your way, but still close enough to converse.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:20 PM   #12
Head Chef

Finca, your house is gorgeous. You must be very excited...I see the wisdom of the wood usage. Your house is about the same color as ours on the outside. I love it, and I'm sure you and your family will spend many many happy years there.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

My kitchen is a similar size - as some have suggested for you, I have a peninsula that comes out around the center of the kitchen, with the sink behind me, where I do most of my prep. When I'm working there, others in the kitchen are (mostly ) required to stay on the other side of the peninsula. It works pretty well.

There's a whole lot of space between your three main kitchen necessities - the sink, stove and refrigerator. I think it would be a good idea to bring those closer together, if possible. Can you put the fridge near the stove, with a counter between them?

Here's mine:
Old 04-02-2009, 12:56 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
My kitchen is a similar size - as some have suggested for you, I have a peninsula that comes out around the center of the kitchen, with the sink behind me, where I do most of my prep. When I'm working there, others in the kitchen are (mostly ) required to stay on the other side of the peninsula. It works pretty well.

There's a whole lot of space between your three main kitchen necessities - the sink, stove and refrigerator. I think it would be a good idea to bring those closer together, if possible. Can you put the fridge near the stove, with a counter between them?

Here's mine:
Your kitchen looks great. The idea of moving the refrigerator to the same wall as the stove is a good one but I'm afraid it won't work. Mine is a side by side, similar to yours and is 36" wide. That would only leave 12 to 18 inches separation from the stove, with not enough work space on either side.

The way the kitchen is arranged now, on opposite walls, the work triangle is only about 16 or 17 feet which is well-below the recommended maximum of 26 feet.

Also, I'm trying to do the best I can to not build or buy more cabinets and countertops, using what I already have as much as possible.

Here's what I have to work with:
36" side by side refrigerator, white
30" free-standing electric range, white
30"x16"x72" 2-door storage cabinet, white
24"x24" butcher block table
30"x60" stainless steel work table
42"x42" wood dining table

I plan to buy hanging pot racks, lighting, and perhaps one more work table.
"Iím going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Iím going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember ó itís always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youíre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:16 PM   #15
Sous Chef

I really just want to say "my piece".....I like a very bright kitchen....happier to work in....also like to hide, but easy to get at things....e.g. toaster, food processor Like tidy counter tops....also if you're a baker, like to have slots for cookie sheets, roasting pans and the like......as I said, just wanted to have my say....LOL
Old 04-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
From a decorator's point of view, you need to lighten up the space a bit. The first thing to do is to dump the valances on the windows. They are drawing the windows down and preventing some much-need light from entering. You need to play up the wonderful high ceiling. Instead install a 1/4- to 3/8-inch thick glass shelf across the window expanse and add decorative objects or small pots of herbs.

Install inexpensive halogen lights under all the cabinets. Add strings of clear mini lights (like those used at Christmastime) on the exposed tops of the cabinets. You'll be surprised at how much brighter the room will appear.

Another trick is to mirror the wall area between the counter and the cabinets above. This reflects light and adds depth to the space.

I also endorse painting the cabinets a lighter color. Perhaps a light butterscotch or mustard. Add interest with colorful hardware.

That's all I can come up with at first thought. Congratulations on your new home.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:36 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Beautiful house! I love the arches. As already suggestged, I would also put a large island with a stepped-up breakfast bar in front of the sink, as large as the space can handle. People always gravitate toward a bar, never fails. Back where the desk is, I would put a built-in planning/desk area (maybe some kind of built-in corner unit) with shelves for cookbooks, and counter area for a computer, calendar, phone, etc.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:17 PM   #18
Head Chef

I like Katie's idea about the mini-lights. Here in Mexico (don't know about the US or Costa Rica) we buy mini-lights encased in very flexible plastic tubing for about 25 pesos ($1.75-2.00US) a meter. They can be cut to any size and a plug-in adapter installed very easily. They are a bit brighter than the Christmas-type lights. We use them to light our back patio and they would look good in your kitchen. Hey, maybe I'll put some in my kitchen, too!
Old 04-02-2009, 07:34 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
I like Katie's idea about the mini-lights. Here in Mexico (don't know about the US or Costa Rica) we buy mini-lights encased in very flexible plastic tubing for about 25 pesos ($1.75-2.00US) a meter. They can be cut to any size and a plug-in adapter installed very easily. They are a bit brighter than the Christmas-type lights. We use them to light our back patio and they would look good in your kitchen. Hey, maybe I'll put some in my kitchen, too!
Yes, Karen, those lights are available here in the U.S., too. Actually they'd be a better choice for a kitchen application.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #20
Senior Cook

The mini-light strings are a great idea and are available in Costa Rica. I'll look into them. I also like the idea of removing the valance and opening up the window.

Another lighting question - although its not very obvious in the photos, there's a support beam that's been boxed in with the same panelling as the walls and spans the room, parallel to the exterior wall and in line with the outside edge of the stove and inside edge of the refrigerator. I'm thinking I could put indirect flourescent lighting on the back side of it which would light the ceiling and reflect to light entire main work area of the kitchen. What do you think?

Also, what about putting in a colorful, full tile backsplash between the countertop and upper cabinets and running it around to include the stove area. I have to do something with the stove backsplash anyway because it's sized for a 24 inch range and mine is 30 inches.

I'm open to the possibility of painting the cabinets but would prefer not to, simply because I've had bad experiences in the past with the long term appearance and durability of painted cabinet finishes.

"Iím going to break one of the rules of the trade here. Iím going to tell you some of the secrets of improvisation. Just remember ó itís always a good idea to follow the directions exactly the first time you try a recipe. But from then on, youíre on your own." - James Beard
FincaPerlitas is offline   Reply With Quote