"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 08-25-2008, 01:08 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Help w/Breadmaker

I dont know what is wrong. I made about 4 or 5 decent loaves of bread right off the bat with this thing and now the last 3 or 4 loaves have been basically not risen, by much. Someone mentioned that maybe the flour should be measured in dry weight and the water in liquid. I dont think it much matters. I am trying the basic french bread recipe w/2 cups water/2 TB oil/4 cups flour/some salt and the yeast.

I think I have the fast rising yeast and I bought it recently. Last 3 loaves have not risen much, maybe only 50%, the bread is tough and chewy obviously not risen enuf. ALso there is a thin layer of dry flour on the upper part of the loaf when the baking is finished, like some of the flour did not get used in the mixing...

Help.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:08 AM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
If you made a few loaves that came out OK and now you are making exactly the same recipie and it dies not come out it is most likely an ingredient. You did say you just bought yeast and that you "think" it is the right yeast.
I suggest that you closely check quantities against the recipie and technique against the instructions.
Also, if youstill have problems, please post the model of the machine.

AC

Old 08-25-2008, 05:28 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I always check my dough during the kneading cycle. This way I can help get the dry flour out of the corners and check for dough consistancy. You don't have to be off by much in one of your ingredients to have dough that is to dry or too wet. It sounds to me like yours is too dry if it is not mixing in all the flour. And this is just a guess, but maybe there isn't enough moisture in the dough to properly activate the yeast.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:47 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Are you measuring the temperature of the water? I think that was my problem when my bread-machine loaves weren't rising properly. I had forgotten that warm water was needed to activate the yeast. Once I started measuring the water with my instant-read thermometer, all my loaves have been great HTH.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
Sous Chef

I'd try getting some new yeast.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:54 AM   #6
Sous Chef

I had been using warm water from the tap. But I didnt measure the temp. It never seemed to be an issue before. Could it be too hot? The time before I forgot to use warm so the last two times it was hot..Hmm.

As for the yeast I think the book called for fast rising yeast and that is what I have. I am sure it is new..

I am thinking there may be an issue with the amount of water and that is why I am asking about dry measure vs wet measure. So my question is when recipes call for quantities of dry and wet ingredients do I use different measuring spoons for this? THe book that came with the gadget does not say..
Old 08-25-2008, 09:53 AM   #7
Sous Chef

flour or othe ringredients could be old, too
Old 08-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinmaryland View Post
I had been using warm water from the tap. But I didnt measure the temp. It never seemed to be an issue before. Could it be too hot? The time before I forgot to use warm so the last two times it was hot..Hmm.

As for the yeast I think the book called for fast rising yeast and that is what I have. I am sure it is new..

I am thinking there may be an issue with the amount of water and that is why I am asking about dry measure vs wet measure. So my question is when recipes call for quantities of dry and wet ingredients do I use different measuring spoons for this? THe book that came with the gadget does not say..
A tablespoon of water would use the same measuring tool as a tablespoon of flour - or cup, etc.

Make sure your flour hasn't settled. I take a whisk and loosen up/lighten up the flour then measure.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:34 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpinmaryland View Post

If the water is too hot, it can kill the yeast.

As KE said, you use the same measuring spoons for liquid and dry ingredients, but different measuring cups for liquid and dry.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:39 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
If the water is too hot, it can kill the yeast.

As KE said, you use the same measuring spoons for liquid and dry ingredients, but different measuring cups for liquid and dry.
GG - 'cause I don't bake I have to clarify this - - - if a recipe calls for 1 cup of water and 1 cup of flour I would most definitely use the same cup for both. This is where it gets confusing, for me anyway. I shouldn't do this?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote