"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 05-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Help with New Cast Iron Pan - Bad Mistake!!

Hi. I'm desperately in need of some help here, from all you knowledgeable users of Cast Iron Pans.

I'm new to cooking really, and many people told me that Cast Iron pans were the best for spreading the heat and even cooking etc. So I've bought one.

The first thing I found is that it's wonderful for strengthening the arm muscles.

The second thing I've found out [ or rather it's been confirmed], is that a little knowledge can be extremely dangerous. I was told it was important to 'season the pan', or it will never be the same again. [And that part is certainly true, as I don't think mine will be !!]

So on-line I went, and read about 7 or 8 varying ways to season a cast iron pan. All of which were really similar, so I thought I couldn't go wrong.

Ha Ha !!

What none of the posts explained, or cautioned, [ no doubt thinking that no-one could be so ignorant as to not know this fact,] is that other than coating it with a thin layer of oil, and then wiping it off again, you don't have to season an enamel cast iron pan.

But I did. Coated it inside and out with cooking oil, lid as well, and then baked it for an hour in the oven at about 350. When I took it out it was covered in medium brown stains all over, and far from having a spanking new cream enamel finish, it now looks like a David Hockney painting on one of his off days. Inside and out. Top and bottom. I imagine it must be burnt oil.

Later, after thinking about it, I tentatively tried a bit of water on it, and eventually a spot of washing up liquid, all to no avail.

Since then I have used it twice to cook curries in, stains and all, and guess what ? The bottom of the pan is now as good as new. But of course, the same cannot be said for the dark blue outside, nor the lid. Inside [ cream] or out, [dark blue].

So the good news is that it seems OK to use. At least, I've eaten food cooked in it twice, and I'm still alive.

So my question is......how can I remove the staining from the outside of the pan, and the lid ? Is there a way ? And if so, might you tell me ? Or not ?

But even if not, I guess it's use-able. And at least I've learnt something.

I think !!

Old 05-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Oven cleaner will clean it up.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

If you have Barkeepers Friend, that will get the brown spots off. The BKF won't harm the enamel finish.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

You could also try a magic eraser. Those things have cleaned stuff that I thought was hopeless!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
Master Chef

Bon Ami will probably work too and, just like Barkeeper's Friend, it doesn't scratch either. It's my first go-to since it doesn't leave grit in the sink like I find with BKF. As a bonus, it's cheaper.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

It sounds like you have an enamelled cast iron pan, which is different from a non-enamelled pan. If so, it would not need to be seasoned. In addition to the above suggestions to get stains out, try a weak bleach spray like Clorox Cleanup. You might also try boiling a mix of vinegar and baking soda in it.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:51 PM   #7
Sous Chef

I would try a little oven cleaner. If you don't want to bother and it's not sticky, use it like it is. It will look like you've been cooking in it for years.
Old 05-26-2013, 06:14 PM   #8
Executive Chef

With a little patience, some massaging with Flitz and then a thorough washing will make your pan shine brighter than new.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
Master Chef

I would be nervous about using oven cleaner on the colored exterior of an enameled pan.

I'd start with Barkeepers Friend, which is a miracle product.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I would be nervous about using oven cleaner on the colored exterior of an enameled pan.

I'd start with Barkeepers Friend, which is a miracle product.
+1 Jenny