"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2018, 03:15 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

I have several wood boards. One has a moat around it on one side which I use to cut meats so any blood/juices will accumulate there instead of running onto my counter. If I need to cut vegetables for same meal, I use the other side after I drain any accumulation from meats. When done, I wash both sides with soap and hot water after I spray with clorox.

Toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:48 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

GG, sometimes I super-clean a wooden board not because I'm worried about germs, but because I'm trying to get rid of a long-lingering smell of onion or garlic. Not the flavor additive I want for fruits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate your answers!

I have that chopping block which makes it a little difficult to throw in the sink. LOL
I've been cleaning it off with dish soap followed by hot water and then a spray of Windex, but I was never sure if I was over cleaning or under cleaning it. It is terribly stained, though, and I need to do something about that one of these days.
Ack, Windex? Nope, nope, I wouldn't do that. When I want to get stains or lingering smells out of a wooden cutting board, I scrub it with a half lemon and salt. Clean, fresh smelling...and a wee bit drying to the wood, maybe. Once it's thoroughly dry, I'll give it a nice massage and rub-out with mineral oil.

"If you don't use your head, you gotta use your feet."~~~more Mom
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:32 PM   #23
Master Chef

https://goo.gl/images/cjPRvq
Old 01-17-2018, 06:00 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
GG, sometimes I super-clean a wooden board not because I'm worried about germs, but because I'm trying to get rid of a long-lingering smell of onion or garlic. Not the flavor additive I want for fruits.
I hear you, CG! That's why I use my all-purpose spray, on my wooden boards and the countertop. It leaves a fresh lemony aroma.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Bleach and rinse the plastic ones. Very dilute bleach for the wood. Wooden boards naturally have antibiotic properties.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
I believe butchers regularly "scrape" their blocks and I also believe they use(d) their knives to do so. Have actually watched a butcher, from whom I often bought (back in the 60's) do this. I think this is also why when you see a real antique block it has a big slope in one direction, the common place the butcher stands. He would do this every night when finishing up, sometimes in between, depending on how busy he was. This was not only to 'clean' but to smooth the wood from cuts, which in itself was a cleansing action.

I use soap and water and don't worry about it. LOL, don't know if I would use Windex though! although I admit I've never looked at the ingredient list on the label. I have many wood boards and don't differentiate between boards or foods, just make sure I clean.
I'm with both of the above. I have 2 bamboo, one large wood Boos Block, and a couple of plastic ones. I use plastic when cutting raw meats, wood for just about everything else. The Boos Block has a flat side and a side with a juice groove. It's new and it got it's baptism on Christmas carving 2 prime rib roasts. I wash them all in the sink in hot soapy water. Have never bleached or done anything special with any of them - never seems to be a problem.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:32 AM   #26
Master Chef

I use those thin nylon cutting mats..they rinse off easily in the sink and don't take any room in the dishwasher..this way, I just wipe my cutting board(s) with a wet cloth like I do to my counters...
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:48 AM   #27
Executive Chef

I used to get thin nylon mats at the Dollar$tore, 2 for a dollar, then they went up to 1 for a dollar, then $1.50 and now they don't carry them any more. I loved them but they would eventually get cut up.

As I have unforgiving tiled countertops I would use these mats on top of the wood boards. They were light and flexible and I could pick up the mat and carry the food over to dump in the pot or pan. Miss them!
Old 01-18-2018, 06:53 AM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
I used to get thin nylon mats at the Dollar$tore, 2 for a dollar, then they went up to 1 for a dollar, then $1.50 and now they don't carry them any more. I loved them but they would eventually get cut up.

As I have unforgiving tiled countertops I would use these mats on top of the wood boards. They were light and flexible and I could pick up the mat and carry the food over to dump in the pot or pan. Miss them!
yeah..I never thought of using them until GF's son bought me a 4 pack one xmas..I found myself reaching for them more and more..sometimes I will use two per meal..it is the ease of clean up that I like..very manageable..I've gone through a few packs over the years as they do wear out, but they are very handy, fer sherr
Old 01-18-2018, 07:09 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Are you still able to find them?
Old 01-18-2018, 07:24 AM   #30
Master Chef

I have these other ones now..they are heavier duty, and have a non slip surface underneath..I think my gf got them at one of the major department stores..