"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2018, 11:28 PM   #1
Head Chef

How do you clean your cutting boards?

I wasn't sure where to put this so if it needs to be moved, that's fine.

My question was, what sort of surface do you have for cutting meats on and how do you clean it after cutting up, say, a chicken?

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:04 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a large 14X20 bamboo cutting board that I keep on my counter beside my sink at all times. I use it for everything from meal preparations to sandwich makings. My single sink is the same size, so it's no problem to wash and sanitize it with soap and hot water as needed.
When we redid the kitchen I planned it that way. I love both the board and the sink.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:36 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a number of high density polypropylene boards (basically plastic). I use a dish brush that has a bleach solution on it to scrub it in the sink, then put the board into the dishwasher to get rid of any possible bleach residue. If you don't have a dishwasher, you can clean the bleach off by following up with another dish soap scrubbing.

"If you don't use your head, you gotta use your feet."~~~more Mom
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:45 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I have the same cutting boards CG has, and I just put them in the dishwasher. Between the detergent, and the sustained exposure to very hot water, nothing is going to survive.

I do have a wooden cutting board, but I use it for serving things on, like antipasto or sliced, cooked meats. I wash it with dish soap and hot water.

One thing that I have working in my favor is about a dozen of those plastic cutting boards, so I never have to re-use a cutting board during a prep/cook. If I cut anything that could cross-contaminate something else, it goes right into the dishwasher after I use it, and pull out a fresh one. They are dirt cheap at IKEA, so I loaded up.

CD
Old 01-16-2018, 02:53 AM   #5
Head Chef

I use a thin plastic mat cutting board and mine is need of replacement. I hear the bad thing about mine is that the huge amount of fine cuts into the mat makes it harder to keep clean and sanitary. A new one is on my shopping list. I cut one mat in half for smaller dicing chores.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:25 AM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Bleach and rinse the plastic ones. Very dilute bleach for the wood. Wooden boards naturally have antibiotic properties.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:09 AM   #7
Master Chef

We have cutting mats. Been using them for years. Dish sponge with Palmolive and hot water to rinse.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:34 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

My primary board is a large wooden one. I either spray it with my all-purpose cleaning spray (1/3 each water, white vinegar and lemon juice) and wipe it off, or wash it in the sink. I hand-wash the two smaller boards. I also have a couple of polypropylene boards that go in the dishwasher.

I tried those little mats, but I don't like how they slide around. My wooden board stays put.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:39 AM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

I use only polypropylene boards. After use they go into the DW which has a sanitize cycle with super hot water that kills any resident bugs.

Sometimes, the boards build up stains so I bleach them out and rinse them off.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #10
Senior Cook

The plastic ones go in the dishwasher. I clean the wooden ones with white vinegar. Raw meat gets cut only on the plastic ones.

Stock Pot is offline   Reply With Quote