How do you clean your cutting boards?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rodentraiser

Head Chef
I wasn't sure where to put this so if it needs to be moved, that's fine.

My question was, what sort of surface do you have for cutting meats on and how do you clean it after cutting up, say, a chicken?

I have a large 14X20 bamboo cutting board that I keep on my counter beside my sink at all times. I use it for everything from meal preparations to sandwich makings. My single sink is the same size, so it's no problem to wash and sanitize it with soap and hot water as needed.
When we redid the kitchen I planned it that way. I love both the board and the sink.

Last edited:
I have a number of high density polypropylene boards (basically plastic). I use a dish brush that has a bleach solution on it to scrub it in the sink, then put the board into the dishwasher to get rid of any possible bleach residue. If you don't have a dishwasher, you can clean the bleach off by following up with another dish soap scrubbing.

I have the same cutting boards CG has, and I just put them in the dishwasher. Between the detergent, and the sustained exposure to very hot water, nothing is going to survive.

I do have a wooden cutting board, but I use it for serving things on, like antipasto or sliced, cooked meats. I wash it with dish soap and hot water.

One thing that I have working in my favor is about a dozen of those plastic cutting boards, so I never have to re-use a cutting board during a prep/cook. If I cut anything that could cross-contaminate something else, it goes right into the dishwasher after I use it, and pull out a fresh one. They are dirt cheap at IKEA, so I loaded up.

CD

I use a thin plastic mat cutting board and mine is need of replacement. I hear the bad thing about mine is that the huge amount of fine cuts into the mat makes it harder to keep clean and sanitary. A new one is on my shopping list. I cut one mat in half for smaller dicing chores.

We have cutting mats. Been using them for years. Dish sponge with Palmolive and hot water to rinse.

My primary board is a large wooden one. I either spray it with my all-purpose cleaning spray (1/3 each water, white vinegar and lemon juice) and wipe it off, or wash it in the sink. I hand-wash the two smaller boards. I also have a couple of polypropylene boards that go in the dishwasher.

I tried those little mats, but I don't like how they slide around. My wooden board stays put.

I use only polypropylene boards. After use they go into the DW which has a sanitize cycle with super hot water that kills any resident bugs.

Sometimes, the boards build up stains so I bleach them out and rinse them off.

My primary board is a large wooden one. I either spray it with my all-purpose cleaning spray (1/3 each water, white vinegar and lemon juice) and wipe it off, or wash it in the sink. I hand-wash the two smaller boards. I also have a couple of polypropylene boards that go in the dishwasher.

I tried those little mats, but I don't like how they slide around. My wooden board stays put.

So do our mats, you must have tried the smooth on both sides ones.

Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate your answers!

I have that chopping block which makes it a little difficult to throw in the sink. LOL
I've been cleaning it off with dish soap followed by hot water and then a spray of Windex, but I was never sure if I was over cleaning or under cleaning it. It is terribly stained, though, and I need to do something about that one of these days.

I believe butchers regularly "scrape" their blocks and I also believe they use(d) their knives to do so. Have actually watched a butcher, from whom I often bought (back in the 60's) do this. I think this is also why when you see a real antique block it has a big slope in one direction, the common place the butcher stands. He would do this every night when finishing up, sometimes in between, depending on how busy he was. This was not only to 'clean' but to smooth the wood from cuts, which in itself was a cleansing action.

I use soap and water and don't worry about it. LOL, don't know if I would use Windex though! although I admit I've never looked at the ingredient list on the label. I have many wood boards and don't differentiate between boards or foods, just make sure I clean.

RT, I'd drop the Windex, and fill up a spray bottle with a weak beach to water solution, then wipe down again.

Dragon is mostly right about how old time butchers clean their block as I watched my Dad do it every night. He would start by using a really stiff wire brush first.

Thank you, everyone. I really appreciate your answers!

I have that chopping block which makes it a little difficult to throw in the sink. LOL
I've been cleaning it off with dish soap followed by hot water and then a spray of Windex, but I was never sure if I was over cleaning or under cleaning it. It is terribly stained, though, and I need to do something about that one of these days.

I would not use Windex. Did you read the article PF posted? Wood has natural antibiotic properties. It basically pulls the microbes into the wood, then absorbs moisture from microbes and kills them.

Back
Top Bottom